Re: [XP] Agile challenges

  • Kim Gräsman
    Message 1 of 11 , May 7, 2011
      Hi Buddha,

      On Fri, May 6, 2011 at 22:42, Buddha Buck <blaisepascal@...> wrote:
      > On Fri, May 6, 2011 at 2:27 PM, Kim Gräsman <kim.grasman@...> wrote:
      >>
      >> For team meetings, I think there's value in everybody being on the
      >> lowest common denominator as far as communication medium, e.g. if one
      >> team member can only attend the daily stand-up on Skype, then do it
      >> over skype for everybody, always.
      >
      >> This sounds counter-intuitive, but I think it's good for two reasons;
      >>
      >> 1) Everybody needs to make an effort to be understood over the
      >> low-bandwidth medium. There's no "cheating", where local team members
      >> pick things up from body language, but remotes don't get the joke
      >> 2) It's a sign of respect for the remote team member(s) -- they're on
      >> the team, and they're not punished because they happen to be remote.
      >>

      > Hmmm, we have 5 guys in Ithaca, working in an open-plan office, and 1 guy in
      > Philly.  Hows that gonna work?
      >
      > When we had 4 guys and one moved to Portland, everyone skyping in required
      > headsets to prevent horrible feedback and echo.  Even with the headsets we
      > could hear the local people both directly and over skype.

      Yeah, I think headsets are a must.

      I suppose it feels a bit forced, but I'd try focusing what I'm saying
      and hearing through the headset, and avoid the benefits of local
      presence, *for the duration of the meeting*. For day-to-day pair work,
      I'd use whatever-bandwidth communication is most useful for the
      constellation.

      Or just do whatever works ;-)

      - Kim