Re: [XP] Agile challenges

  • George Dinwiddie
    Message 1 of 11 , May 6, 2011
      Tim,

      On 5/6/11 10:14 AM, Tim Ottinger wrote:
      > Five rules:
      > 1) Don't
      >
      > Take the first with a grain of salt. I'm once again a remote member of a team,
      > so I see value in having remote members. We have to have special
      > considerations, like skype, webex or yuuguu or teamviewer, distributed version
      > control helps, phone numbers for when something bad happens, interoffice text
      > chat, extra email conversations, etc.

      What about a group trying to learn Agile? I've not had as much
      distributed experience as you, probably, but I've found it unlikely for
      a team to learn Agile development when dispersed. People who already
      have an understanding can notice when and what they need to do to
      compensate for the distance.

      - George

    • Tim Ottinger
      Message 2 of 11 , May 6, 2011
        > What about a group trying to learn Agile? I've not had as much
        > distributed experience as you, probably, but I've found it unlikely for
        > a team to learn Agile development when dispersed. People who already
        > have an understanding can notice when and what they need to do to
        > compensate for the distance.

        I would not recommend distributed for people who don't already have a
        handle on what they're doing technically, who aren't already connected
        with the team, or who haven't done the agile thing before.

        That said, I have definitely worked with remotes who knew the product
        and the team but who have never been remote before, and some of
        them turned out great. Others disconnected even more. I guess there
        is some element of how much they want to be a part of it. Will
        trumps talent and difficulty in most cases.

        Tim Ottinger
        http://agileinaflash.blogspot.com/
        http://agileotter.blogspot.com/
      • Kim Gräsman
        Message 3 of 11 , May 7, 2011
          Hi Buddha,

          On Fri, May 6, 2011 at 22:42, Buddha Buck <blaisepascal@...> wrote:
          > On Fri, May 6, 2011 at 2:27 PM, Kim Gräsman <kim.grasman@...> wrote:
          >>
          >> For team meetings, I think there's value in everybody being on the
          >> lowest common denominator as far as communication medium, e.g. if one
          >> team member can only attend the daily stand-up on Skype, then do it
          >> over skype for everybody, always.
          >
          >> This sounds counter-intuitive, but I think it's good for two reasons;
          >>
          >> 1) Everybody needs to make an effort to be understood over the
          >> low-bandwidth medium. There's no "cheating", where local team members
          >> pick things up from body language, but remotes don't get the joke
          >> 2) It's a sign of respect for the remote team member(s) -- they're on
          >> the team, and they're not punished because they happen to be remote.
          >>

          > Hmmm, we have 5 guys in Ithaca, working in an open-plan office, and 1 guy in
          > Philly.  Hows that gonna work?
          >
          > When we had 4 guys and one moved to Portland, everyone skyping in required
          > headsets to prevent horrible feedback and echo.  Even with the headsets we
          > could hear the local people both directly and over skype.

          Yeah, I think headsets are a must.

          I suppose it feels a bit forced, but I'd try focusing what I'm saying
          and hearing through the headset, and avoid the benefits of local
          presence, *for the duration of the meeting*. For day-to-day pair work,
          I'd use whatever-bandwidth communication is most useful for the
          constellation.

          Or just do whatever works ;-)

          - Kim