Re: [XP] Agile challenges

  • Buddha Buck
    Message 1 of 11 , May 6 1:42 PM
      On Fri, May 6, 2011 at 2:27 PM, Kim Gräsman <kim.grasman@...> wrote:

      > For team meetings, I think there's value in everybody being on the
      > lowest common denominator as far as communication medium, e.g. if one
      > team member can only attend the daily stand-up on Skype, then do it
      > over skype for everybody, always.

      > This sounds counter-intuitive, but I think it's good for two reasons;
      >
      > 1) Everybody needs to make an effort to be understood over the
      > low-bandwidth medium. There's no "cheating", where local team members
      > pick things up from body language, but remotes don't get the joke
      > 2) It's a sign of respect for the remote team member(s) -- they're on
      > the team, and they're not punished because they happen to be remote.

      Hmmm, we have 5 guys in Ithaca, working in an open-plan office, and 1 guy in
      Philly. Hows that gonna work?

      When we had 4 guys and one moved to Portland, everyone skyping in required
      headsets to prevent horrible feedback and echo. Even with the headsets we
      could hear the local people both directly and over skype.

    • George Dinwiddie
      Message 2 of 11 , May 6 5:09 PM
        Tim,

        On 5/6/11 10:14 AM, Tim Ottinger wrote:
        > Five rules:
        > 1) Don't
        >
        > Take the first with a grain of salt. I'm once again a remote member of a team,
        > so I see value in having remote members. We have to have special
        > considerations, like skype, webex or yuuguu or teamviewer, distributed version
        > control helps, phone numbers for when something bad happens, interoffice text
        > chat, extra email conversations, etc.

        What about a group trying to learn Agile? I've not had as much
        distributed experience as you, probably, but I've found it unlikely for
        a team to learn Agile development when dispersed. People who already
        have an understanding can notice when and what they need to do to
        compensate for the distance.

        - George

      • Tim Ottinger
        Message 3 of 11 , May 6 7:07 PM
          > What about a group trying to learn Agile? I've not had as much
          > distributed experience as you, probably, but I've found it unlikely for
          > a team to learn Agile development when dispersed. People who already
          > have an understanding can notice when and what they need to do to
          > compensate for the distance.

          I would not recommend distributed for people who don't already have a
          handle on what they're doing technically, who aren't already connected
          with the team, or who haven't done the agile thing before.

          That said, I have definitely worked with remotes who knew the product
          and the team but who have never been remote before, and some of
          them turned out great. Others disconnected even more. I guess there
          is some element of how much they want to be a part of it. Will
          trumps talent and difficulty in most cases.

          Tim Ottinger
          http://agileinaflash.blogspot.com/
          http://agileotter.blogspot.com/
        • Kim Gräsman
          Message 4 of 11 , May 7 12:50 AM
            Hi Buddha,

            On Fri, May 6, 2011 at 22:42, Buddha Buck <blaisepascal@...> wrote:
            > On Fri, May 6, 2011 at 2:27 PM, Kim Gräsman <kim.grasman@...> wrote:
            >>
            >> For team meetings, I think there's value in everybody being on the
            >> lowest common denominator as far as communication medium, e.g. if one
            >> team member can only attend the daily stand-up on Skype, then do it
            >> over skype for everybody, always.
            >
            >> This sounds counter-intuitive, but I think it's good for two reasons;
            >>
            >> 1) Everybody needs to make an effort to be understood over the
            >> low-bandwidth medium. There's no "cheating", where local team members
            >> pick things up from body language, but remotes don't get the joke
            >> 2) It's a sign of respect for the remote team member(s) -- they're on
            >> the team, and they're not punished because they happen to be remote.
            >>

            > Hmmm, we have 5 guys in Ithaca, working in an open-plan office, and 1 guy in
            > Philly.  Hows that gonna work?
            >
            > When we had 4 guys and one moved to Portland, everyone skyping in required
            > headsets to prevent horrible feedback and echo.  Even with the headsets we
            > could hear the local people both directly and over skype.

            Yeah, I think headsets are a must.

            I suppose it feels a bit forced, but I'd try focusing what I'm saying
            and hearing through the headset, and avoid the benefits of local
            presence, *for the duration of the meeting*. For day-to-day pair work,
            I'd use whatever-bandwidth communication is most useful for the
            constellation.

            Or just do whatever works ;-)

            - Kim