Re: [XP] Uncle Bob's "Restoring The Trust" video

  • Curtis Cooley
    Message 1 of 23 , Mar 4, 2011
      On Wed, Mar 2, 2011 at 2:08 AM, JeffGrigg <jeffreytoddgrigg@...>wrote:

      > "Uncle Bob" posted a nice short (3 minute) video on the origin of The Agile
      > Manifesto, how we split, and where we should go from here:
      > http://cleancoder.posterous.com/stub6-restoring-the-trust
      >
      > This is nice and very appropriate at my current place of employ. The trust
      is very low between the business people and the technical people. It's an
      "old school" place where IT is seen as a necessary evil/cost center. We need
      to restore that trust, and re-unification is the most likely approach.

      I'm already discreetly introducing Kanban and value stream mapping to the
      PM's that will listen. My last value stream mapping session, one PM said
      this was the most useful analysis he's ever seen at this company. GRIN! We
      may just get a little agile movement going and be able to show how business
      people and technical people can work side by side and IT is not just a cost
      center.

      What does this have to do with XP? Well, I'm also trying to gather up the
      technical people that will listen and start an XP movement as well. The hope
      is to not only meet in the middle, but also introduce the XP practices the
      technical people will need to learn if any agile approach is going to work.

      It's better than sitting head down in a cube and coding all day.

      --
      Curtis Cooley
      curtis.cooley@...
    • Tim Ottinger
      Message 2 of 23 , Mar 4, 2011
        > Yes. Any suggestions for what to do (other than all be gooder) will

        > be welcome. :)

        How about being less gooder?

        Basic story: Every place you go, there is something you want there, or else
        you'd go somewhere else. If someone demands pizza and skee ball from Morimoto's
        sushi restaurant, he should be directed to Chuck E's. Otherwise, he's ruining
        everyone's fine sushi dinner. Likewise, if he comes and complains every night
        because there's rice in the sushi, he's not a critic but a crank. Sushi has
        rice. That's what makes it sushi. Eat it or go to Chuck E's.

        I feel like I sat down to a $150.00 tasting menu, and my neighbor is complaining
        about the rice and ordering pizza and yelling at the waiters for not having
        skeeball. I'm not enjoying my meal. We've all had our say, and it's just
        circling back to the same-old same-old. Warnings have been issued. Next time,
        ban.

        Tim
      • Charlie Poole
        Message 3 of 23 , Mar 4, 2011
          Hi Ron,

          The general topic of the origins of Agile and what has happened to it
          in the past ten years is very interesting to me. I'd like to feel that we
          can
          have a conversation around that without every thread being hijacked to
          argue for the peculiar re-definition of Agile that Marvin advocates.

          Of course, sometimes a thread just grows off in a different direction
          from where it started. But when it happens repeatedly, and each thread
          is taken in the same direction by the same person, I have to think that
          there is an intention to offend.

          Jeff's posting of Bob's video could have led to an interesting discussion
          well within the purpose of this group. It simply got hijacked. I made a
          post a while back that suffered the same fate.

          I suggest that you add systematic hijacking of threads to the list of
          things for which someone may be moderated or banned. Then give
          one or two warnings after which action should be taken.

          IMO, it's OK if Marvin wants to make posts about his views of where
          agile should go. So long as the subjects are clearly stated, anyone
          who is not interested can ignore them. It's when these views are
          repeatedly injected into other threads that I get annoyed.

          Charlie

          On Fri, Mar 4, 2011 at 1:04 AM, <ronjeffriesacm@...> wrote:

          > Advise me, people. I am finding these posts to be less and less relevant to
          > what I take the purpose of this group to be, and to be less and less
          > respectful of people both absent and present.
          >
          > At the same time, I freely grant that they are irritating me, and I do not
          > have a record of good decisions when irritated.
          >
          > Your suggestions, pro or con, publicly or direct to me, will be helpful.
          >
          > Thanks,

          > On Mar 3, 2011, at 11:07 PM, "MarvinToll.com" <MarvinToll@...>
          > wrote:
          >
          > > I appreciated Uncle Bob's reminder. In 2001 CEO's were still telling IT
          > leaders to 'get lost' ... being really upset at how executive bonuses were
          > curtailed because of the enormous costs associated with Y2K.
          > >
          > > And that was after the whole client/server debacle of the 90s... another
          > costly misdirection.
          > >
          > > It is amazing that in that climate self-described "organizational
          > anarchists" took it upon themselves to tell businesses how to organize as a
          > strategy to build trust. And even more amazing was that so many folks that
          > failed to get date processing right presumed that their new-found scope
          > included telling Successful Companies what they are doing wrong.
          > >
          > > If we (IT) could just get CASE, I mean client-server, er, I mean CORBA,
          > that is Entity Beans, oops... I mean JAX-RPC... oh well, JAX-WS right ---
          > then maybe it would be time to start telling business leaders how we are
          > smarter than they are?
          > >
          > > --- In extremeprogramming@yahoogroups.com, "JeffGrigg"
          > <jeffreytoddgrigg@...> wrote:
          > >>
          > >> ---
          > >>
          > >> Personally, while I see value to the manifesto as a unifying point for
          > everyone, I also see value to taking off in different directions based on
          > interests and needs. And I would agree that this represents a maturing of
          > the "movement." Personally, I wonder if Uncle Bob is over-emphasizing
          > "unification."

        • John Roth
          Message 4 of 23 , Mar 5, 2011
            Put him on moderation. The number of misrepresentations in the cited
            post comes close to one per line - a clear sign of trolling.

            This is usually such a pleasant group that people may have forgotten the
            first law of dealing with a troll: don't reply.

            John Roth