Re: [XP] Re: Uncle Bob's "Restoring The Trust" video

  • Curtis Cooley
    Message 1 of 23 , Mar 3 11:41 AM
      On Thu, Mar 3, 2011 at 8:40 AM, Ron Jeffries <ronjeffries@...> wrote:

      > Hello, Curtis. On Thursday, March 3, 2011, at 10:07:21 AM, you
      > wrote:
      >
      > > I've noticed one.
      >
      > Yes? Who's that, please? Link to their work?
      >
      > The way Marvin worded the alternatives, mostly negative words and phrases
      for A and positive words and phrases for B, I assumed Marvin was in group B.

      --
      Curtis Cooley
      curtis.cooley@...
    • JeffGrigg
      Message 2 of 23 , Mar 3 5:35 PM

        --- Curtis Cooley <curtis.cooley@...> wrote:
        > The way Marvin worded the alternatives, mostly negative words
        > and phrases for A and positive words and phrases for B, I
        > assumed Marvin was in group B.

        Sure; who else would think that separating groups of people is the best way to improve trust between those groups? ;->

        ---

        Personally, while I see value to the manifesto as a unifying point for everyone, I also see value to taking off in different directions based on interests and needs. And I would agree that this represents a maturing of the "movement." Personally, I wonder if Uncle Bob is over-emphasizing "unification."
      • MarvinToll.com
        Message 3 of 23 , Mar 3 8:07 PM
          I appreciated Uncle Bob's reminder. In 2001 CEO's were still telling IT leaders to 'get lost' ... being really upset at how executive bonuses were curtailed because of the enormous costs associated with Y2K.

          And that was after the whole client/server debacle of the 90s... another costly misdirection.

          It is amazing that in that climate self-described "organizational anarchists" took it upon themselves to tell businesses how to organize as a strategy to build trust. And even more amazing was that so many folks that failed to get date processing right presumed that their new-found scope included telling Successful Companies what they are doing wrong.

          If we (IT) could just get CASE, I mean client-server, er, I mean CORBA, that is Entity Beans, oops... I mean JAX-RPC... oh well, JAX-WS right --- then maybe it would be time to start telling business leaders how we are smarter than they are?

          --- In extremeprogramming@yahoogroups.com, "JeffGrigg" <jeffreytoddgrigg@...> wrote:

          > ---
          >
          > Personally, while I see value to the manifesto as a unifying point for everyone, I also see value to taking off in different directions based on interests and needs. And I would agree that this represents a maturing of the "movement." Personally, I wonder if Uncle Bob is over-emphasizing "unification."

        • Steven Gordon
          Message 4 of 23 , Mar 3 11:13 PM
            Your examples all point out that technologies are not sufficient to solve
            business problems. The agile leaders are not the same people as the "IT
            leaders" you lambast in that they realize that people are the success factor
            not technology.

            Agile is about facilitating people, not about the latest and greatest
            technology. In the case of a business with a 19th century management
            approach, facilitating people does require social reengineering of the
            organization and its culture, not just paying lip service to the agile
            principles.

            Nobody in the agile movement is telling you that you cannot take off in your
            own direction. But, why do we have to sanction your particular direction
            when we believe it is not Agile? Go forth and prove us wrong, not with
            words or misinterpeting other's words to fit your agenda or drafting off the
            inertia of slowly dying mega-corporations, but with some real demonstrable
            success.

            SteveG

            On Thu, Mar 3, 2011 at 9:07 PM, MarvinToll.com <MarvinToll@...>wrote:

            > I appreciated Uncle Bob's reminder. In 2001 CEO's were still telling IT
            > leaders to 'get lost' ... being really upset at how executive bonuses were
            > curtailed because of the enormous costs associated with Y2K.
            >
            > And that was after the whole client/server debacle of the 90s... another
            > costly misdirection.
            >
            > It is amazing that in that climate self-described "organizational
            > anarchists" took it upon themselves to tell businesses how to organize as a
            > strategy to build trust. And even more amazing was that so many folks that
            > failed to get date processing right presumed that their new-found scope
            > included telling Successful Companies what they are doing wrong.
            >
            > If we (IT) could just get CASE, I mean client-server, er, I mean CORBA,
            > that is Entity Beans, oops... I mean JAX-RPC... oh well, JAX-WS right ---
            > then maybe it would be time to start telling business leaders how we are
            > smarter than they are?
            >
            > --- In extremeprogramming@yahoogroups.com, "JeffGrigg" <jeffreytoddgrigg@...>
            > wrote:
            > >
            > > ---
            > >
            > > Personally, while I see value to the manifesto as a unifying point for
            > everyone, I also see value to taking off in different directions based on
            > interests and needs. And I would agree that this represents a maturing of
            > the "movement." Personally, I wonder if Uncle Bob is over-emphasizing
            > "unification."

          • John Goodsen
            Message 5 of 23 , Mar 4 1:04 AM
              IMHO, it's going way off topic...

              On Fri, Mar 4, 2011 at 2:04 AM, <ronjeffriesacm@...> wrote:

              > Advise me, people. I am finding these posts to be less and less relevant to
              > what I take the purpose of this group to be, and to be less and less
              > respectful of people both absent and present.
              >
              > At the same time, I freely grant that they are irritating me, and I do not
              > have a record of good decisions when irritated.
              >
              > Your suggestions, pro or con, publicly or direct to me, will be helpful.
              >
              > Thanks,

              > On Mar 3, 2011, at 11:07 PM, "MarvinToll.com" <MarvinToll@...>
              > wrote:
              >
              > > I appreciated Uncle Bob's reminder. In 2001 CEO's were still telling IT
              > leaders to 'get lost' ... being really upset at how executive bonuses were
              > curtailed because of the enormous costs associated with Y2K.
              > >
              > > And that was after the whole client/server debacle of the 90s... another
              > costly misdirection.
              > >
              > > It is amazing that in that climate self-described "organizational
              > anarchists" took it upon themselves to tell businesses how to organize as a
              > strategy to build trust. And even more amazing was that so many folks that
              > failed to get date processing right presumed that their new-found scope
              > included telling Successful Companies what they are doing wrong.
              > >
              > > If we (IT) could just get CASE, I mean client-server, er, I mean CORBA,
              > that is Entity Beans, oops... I mean JAX-RPC... oh well, JAX-WS right ---
              > then maybe it would be time to start telling business leaders how we are
              > smarter than they are?
              > >
              > > --- In extremeprogramming@yahoogroups.com, "JeffGrigg"
              > <jeffreytoddgrigg@...> wrote:
              > >>
              > >> ---
              > >>
              > >> Personally, while I see value to the manifesto as a unifying point for
              > everyone, I also see value to taking off in different directions based on
              > interests and needs. And I would agree that this represents a maturing of
              > the "movement." Personally, I wonder if Uncle Bob is over-emphasizing
              > "unification."

              John Goodsen RADSoft / Better Software Faster
              jgoodsen@... Lean/Kanban/XP/Scrum Coaching and Training
              http://www.radsoft.com Enterprise Ruby, Java and Scala Solutions

              Message 6 of 23 , Mar 4 1:04 AM

                Message 7 of 23 , Mar 4 2:33 AM
                  I plead "Guilty as charged."

                  Even this thread has just gone right off the rails,
                  even with some apparent honest efforts moderate our own behavior.

                  We just keep circling back to the same core conflict.

                  Message 8 of 23 , Mar 4 5:18 AM
                    Hello, JeffGrigg. On Friday, March 4, 2011, at 5:33:05 AM, you
                    wrote:

                    > I plead "Guilty as charged."

                    > Even this thread has just gone right off the rails,
                    > even with some apparent honest efforts moderate our own behavior.

                    > We just keep circling back to the same core conflict.

                    Yes. Any suggestions for what to do (other than all be gooder) will
                    be welcome. :)

                    In programming, do, or undo. There is always try. --Yoda
                  • George Dinwiddie
                    Message 9 of 23 , Mar 4 6:20 AM
                      On 3/3/11 11:07 PM, MarvinToll.com wrote:
                      > And even more amazing was that so many folks that failed to get date
                      > processing right presumed that their new-found scope included telling
                      > Successful Companies what they are doing wrong.

                      The /SAME/ people? Or are you just lumping people into classes that
                      support your prejudice?

                      If the former, you need some evidence. If the latter, I find it highly
                      offensive.

                      - George

                    • ronjeffriesacm@gmail.com
                      Message 10 of 23 , Mar 4 6:24 AM
                        Hi George,
                        Please see my [MOD] posting and offer your advice.
                        Thanks,

                        On Mar 4, 2011, at 9:20 AM, George Dinwiddie <lists@...> wrote:

                        > On 3/3/11 11:07 PM, MarvinToll.com wrote:
                        >> And even more amazing was that so many folks that failed to get date
                        >> processing right presumed that their new-found scope included telling
                        >> Successful Companies what they are doing wrong.
                        >
                        > The /SAME/ people? Or are you just lumping people into classes that
                        > support your prejudice?
                        >
                        > If the former, you need some evidence. If the latter, I find it highly
                        > offensive.
                        >
                        > - George

                      • Keith Ray
                        Message 11 of 23 , Mar 4 8:11 AM
                          I'm already filtering out messages from one person, and now I'll start
                          filtering out messages in reply to that person. In effect, few of the last
                          week's worth of postings will be seen by me.

                          On Fri, Mar 4, 2011 at 6:20 AM, George Dinwiddie <lists@...>wrote:

                          > On 3/3/11 11:07 PM, MarvinToll.com wrote:
                          > > And even more amazing was that so many folks that failed to get date
                          > > processing right presumed that their new-found scope included telling
                          > > Successful Companies what they are doing wrong.
                          >
                          > The /SAME/ people? Or are you just lumping people into classes that
                          > support your prejudice?
                          >
                          > If the former, you need some evidence. If the latter, I find it highly
                          > offensive.
                          >
                          > - George

                          C. Keith Ray
                          Web: http://industriallogic.com
                          Twitter: @CKeithRay, @IndustrialLogic

                          Amplify Your Agility
                          Coaching | Training | Assessment | eLearning

                        • Curtis Cooley
                          Message 12 of 23 , Mar 4 8:24 AM
                            On Fri, Mar 4, 2011 at 5:18 AM, Ron Jeffries <ronjeffries@...> wrote:

                            > Hello, JeffGrigg. On Friday, March 4, 2011, at 5:33:05 AM, you
                            > wrote:
                            >

                            > > I plead "Guilty as charged."
                            >
                            > > Even this thread has just gone right off the rails,
                            > > even with some apparent honest efforts moderate our own behavior.
                            >
                            > > We just keep circling back to the same core conflict.
                            >
                            > Yes. Any suggestions for what to do (other than all be gooder) will
                            > be welcome. :)
                            >

                            > I see and appreciate your frustration, as I get frustrated as well. I
                            perhaps even contribute to the "disrespectful language" you mentioned and
                            I'll try to do better. I tend to try and get my point across smugly
                            sometimes. It's a fault that goes way back.

                            I do, however, often glean tidbits of information about agile and XP even
                            when these threads go sideways. The signal to noise ratio is really high,
                            but there is still good info in there sometimes.

                            Perhaps, as a moderator, or perhaps any of us, one can, when we see threads
                            going way off topic, simply reply and ask, "what does this topic have to do
                            with XP?" Perhaps a gentle nudge will move things back on topic.

                            I remember a wise man once told me how to handle employees who were
                            misbehaving and holding up the team. He proposed a three step process:

                            1. Take him aside and show him how is actions negatively affected the team
                            2. Take him aside and explain that if he doesn't change, there will be
                            consequences and tell him what they are
                            3. Exercise the consequences

                            For some reason I think that wise man was you, Ron :)
                            --
                            Curtis Cooley
                            curtis.cooley@...
                            Message 13 of 23 , Mar 4 9:22 AM
                              Hello, Curtis. On Friday, March 4, 2011, at 11:24:17 AM, you
                              wrote:

                              > I remember a wise man once told me how to handle employees who were
                              > misbehaving and holding up the team. He proposed a three step process:

                              > 1. Take him aside and show him how is actions negatively affected the team
                              > 2. Take him aside and explain that if he doesn't change, there will be
                              > consequences and tell him what they are
                              > 3. Exercise the consequences

                              > For some reason I think that wise man was you, Ron :)

                              You may have heard it from me. The idea belongs to Kent Beck.
                              Good reminder though. :)

                              Perfect is the enemy of The Good.
                              But don't forget, so is The Half-Assed. -- J P Barlow
                            • Rick Mugridge
                              Message 14 of 23 , Mar 4 3:31 PM
                                I often seek people out who have a different point of view, as I often
                                learn something, even if it helps to clarify what I believe.

                                But when there's no longer any hope of a real, exploratory, learning
                                dialog, I move on (or delete email without reading it).

                                Cheers, Rick

                                Message 15 of 23 , Mar 4 3:40 PM
                                  On Wed, Mar 2, 2011 at 2:08 AM, JeffGrigg <jeffreytoddgrigg@...>wrote:

                                  > "Uncle Bob" posted a nice short (3 minute) video on the origin of The Agile
                                  > Manifesto, how we split, and where we should go from here:
                                  > http://cleancoder.posterous.com/stub6-restoring-the-trust
                                  >
                                  > This is nice and very appropriate at my current place of employ. The trust
                                  is very low between the business people and the technical people. It's an
                                  "old school" place where IT is seen as a necessary evil/cost center. We need
                                  to restore that trust, and re-unification is the most likely approach.

                                  I'm already discreetly introducing Kanban and value stream mapping to the
                                  PM's that will listen. My last value stream mapping session, one PM said
                                  this was the most useful analysis he's ever seen at this company. GRIN! We
                                  may just get a little agile movement going and be able to show how business
                                  people and technical people can work side by side and IT is not just a cost
                                  center.

                                  What does this have to do with XP? Well, I'm also trying to gather up the
                                  technical people that will listen and start an XP movement as well. The hope
                                  is to not only meet in the middle, but also introduce the XP practices the
                                  technical people will need to learn if any agile approach is going to work.

                                  It's better than sitting head down in a cube and coding all day.

                                  --
                                  Curtis Cooley
                                  curtis.cooley@...
                                • Tim Ottinger
                                  Message 16 of 23 , Mar 4 5:59 PM
                                    > Yes. Any suggestions for what to do (other than all be gooder) will

                                    > be welcome. :)

                                    How about being less gooder?

                                    Basic story: Every place you go, there is something you want there, or else
                                    you'd go somewhere else. If someone demands pizza and skee ball from Morimoto's
                                    sushi restaurant, he should be directed to Chuck E's. Otherwise, he's ruining
                                    everyone's fine sushi dinner. Likewise, if he comes and complains every night
                                    because there's rice in the sushi, he's not a critic but a crank. Sushi has
                                    rice. That's what makes it sushi. Eat it or go to Chuck E's.

                                    I feel like I sat down to a $150.00 tasting menu, and my neighbor is complaining
                                    about the rice and ordering pizza and yelling at the waiters for not having
                                    skeeball. I'm not enjoying my meal. We've all had our say, and it's just
                                    circling back to the same-old same-old. Warnings have been issued. Next time,
                                    ban.

                                    Tim
                                  • Charlie Poole
                                    Message 17 of 23 , Mar 4 8:51 PM
                                      Hi Ron,

                                      The general topic of the origins of Agile and what has happened to it
                                      in the past ten years is very interesting to me. I'd like to feel that we
                                      can
                                      have a conversation around that without every thread being hijacked to
                                      argue for the peculiar re-definition of Agile that Marvin advocates.

                                      Of course, sometimes a thread just grows off in a different direction
                                      from where it started. But when it happens repeatedly, and each thread
                                      is taken in the same direction by the same person, I have to think that
                                      there is an intention to offend.

                                      Jeff's posting of Bob's video could have led to an interesting discussion
                                      well within the purpose of this group. It simply got hijacked. I made a
                                      post a while back that suffered the same fate.

                                      I suggest that you add systematic hijacking of threads to the list of
                                      things for which someone may be moderated or banned. Then give
                                      one or two warnings after which action should be taken.

                                      IMO, it's OK if Marvin wants to make posts about his views of where
                                      agile should go. So long as the subjects are clearly stated, anyone
                                      who is not interested can ignore them. It's when these views are
                                      repeatedly injected into other threads that I get annoyed.

                                      Charlie

                                      On Fri, Mar 4, 2011 at 1:04 AM, <ronjeffriesacm@...> wrote:

                                      > Advise me, people. I am finding these posts to be less and less relevant to
                                      > what I take the purpose of this group to be, and to be less and less
                                      > respectful of people both absent and present.
                                      >
                                      > At the same time, I freely grant that they are irritating me, and I do not
                                      > have a record of good decisions when irritated.
                                      >
                                      > Your suggestions, pro or con, publicly or direct to me, will be helpful.
                                      >
                                      > Thanks,

                                      > On Mar 3, 2011, at 11:07 PM, "MarvinToll.com" <MarvinToll@...>
                                      > wrote:
                                      >
                                      > > I appreciated Uncle Bob's reminder. In 2001 CEO's were still telling IT
                                      > leaders to 'get lost' ... being really upset at how executive bonuses were
                                      > curtailed because of the enormous costs associated with Y2K.
                                      > >
                                      > > And that was after the whole client/server debacle of the 90s... another
                                      > costly misdirection.
                                      > >
                                      > > It is amazing that in that climate self-described "organizational
                                      > anarchists" took it upon themselves to tell businesses how to organize as a
                                      > strategy to build trust. And even more amazing was that so many folks that
                                      > failed to get date processing right presumed that their new-found scope
                                      > included telling Successful Companies what they are doing wrong.
                                      > >
                                      > > If we (IT) could just get CASE, I mean client-server, er, I mean CORBA,
                                      > that is Entity Beans, oops... I mean JAX-RPC... oh well, JAX-WS right ---
                                      > then maybe it would be time to start telling business leaders how we are
                                      > smarter than they are?
                                      > >
                                      > > --- In extremeprogramming@yahoogroups.com, "JeffGrigg"
                                      > <jeffreytoddgrigg@...> wrote:
                                      > >>
                                      > >> ---
                                      > >>
                                      > >> Personally, while I see value to the manifesto as a unifying point for
                                      > everyone, I also see value to taking off in different directions based on
                                      > interests and needs. And I would agree that this represents a maturing of
                                      > the "movement." Personally, I wonder if Uncle Bob is over-emphasizing
                                      > "unification."

                                    • John Roth
                                      Message 18 of 23 , Mar 5 2:03 AM
                                        Put him on moderation. The number of misrepresentations in the cited
                                        post comes close to one per line - a clear sign of trolling.

                                        This is usually such a pleasant group that people may have forgotten the
                                        first law of dealing with a troll: don't reply.

                                        John Roth