Re: [XP] If we had it to do over again?

  • Adam Sroka
    Message 1 of 36 , Feb 27, 2011
      On Sun, Feb 27, 2011 at 3:10 PM, Steven Gordon <sgordonphd@...> wrote:

      > Even when you understand why something does not work for you, it does
      > not mean it might now work for somebody else (or that it might not
      > work for you when you are in a different context). So, why reject it?
      > Not using it now is not the same thing a rejecting ever using it.

      IMO, what Bruce Lee was talking about when he said "reject what is
      useless" is the same thing the Lean folks are talking about when they
      say "eliminate waste." The Japanese talk about three different kinds
      of waste: Muda, Muri, and Mura. All of these have analogues in the
      martial arts. Muda is work that does not produce value. In the martial
      arts there are techniques and training methods that simply won't work
      for you no matter how much you practice them. Muri is absurd or
      useless work that clogs up the system. In the martial arts it is not
      unusual to spend a large proportion of the time allotted to practice
      doing silly, traditional things that complicate practice but don't
      improve it. Mura is "unevenness of flow." In the martial arts this
      usually manifests as ergonomic (economy of motion) issues (e.g. "why
      would I pull my hand all the way back to my hip when it is already
      near where I need it to be for the next attack?") Bruce Lee rejected
      more things because of the way they effected flow or economy of motion
      than for any other single reason.

      I am hoping that it is obvious how all of these apply to our practice
      of XP, but I'm happy to talk about it if it isn't.
    • Kay A Pentecost
      Message 36 of 36 , Mar 3, 2011

        <snip>

        > > This is really really important. In the book "Mastery" the author (I
        > forget
        > the name

        George Leonard. Wonderful book.
        http://www.amazon.com/Mastery-Keys-Success-Long-Term-Fulfillment/dp/04522675
        60/ref=sr_1_4?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1299194037&sr=1-4

        Kay P