Re: Agile Manifesto Team Reconvenes

  • marty.nelson
    Message 1 of 70 , Feb 11, 2011
      As an enterprise architect, I find the majority of my time is spent building the team relationships necessary to support the desired architectural outcomes. In other words, using Conway's Law in reverse to build 'architecture' not by what we /design on paper/, but by aligning the people in the organization so that the /right/ architecture will emerge.

      Oddly enough, I actually just went through an exercise of grouping and correlating the 12 'agile principals' to lessons learned over my past two years of trying to be an /agile/ enterprise architecture. I found that other than some explicit time scale references in the principals, they are completely applicable. What are missing are suggested /practices/ for how one might apply those principals at an enterprise level.

      More generally, you might also appreciate this blog post by Jim Shore than came out of a session at AgileOpenNW: http://bit.ly/hNtRxD. One of the points this makes clear is that to being proficient at an Enterprise or other bigger than self level, our frame of reference needs to expand to include that larger organization .

      --- In extremeprogramming@yahoogroups.com, ronjeffriesacm@... wrote:

      > Great point on Conway's Law. Really applies to your case, Marvin, in my opinion.

      > On Feb 11, 2011, at 9:38 AM, "patelr08" <rakesh.patel@...> wrote:
      >
      > > two things:
      > >
      > > 1. I just finished listening to se-radio podcast about large scale agile developments and they disagree. Please go to www.se-radio.net and have a listen.
      > >
      > > 2. I just came across Conways Law. Please google for specifics but to me it seems if I want well-written code I need to change the organisation to reflect that. I'm currently working in a very broken, waterfall, onshore/offshore, nonagile environment. The code is pretty bad.

      > > --- In extremeprogramming@yahoogroups.com, "MarvinToll.com" <MarvinToll@> wrote:
      > >>
      > >> @Ron - Having thought about this over-night... I finally feel free to articulate what my experience working within Successful Large Enterprises has caused me to conclude:
      > >>
      > >> "The notion of Agile as embodied in the Agile Manifesto (including the 12 principles) is simply not scalable for a large distributed enterprise."
      > >>
      > >> Even if the Agile Manifesto (including the 12 principles) is not a scalable notion the document and what it represents is still highly valued.
      > >>
      > >> http://10yearsagile.org

    • Kay A Pentecost
      Message 70 of 70 , Mar 3, 2011
        +10,000 (and I swore I'd never exaggerate again)

        Kay P