Re: [XP] Agile Manifesto Team Reconvenes

  • Tim Ottinger
    Message 1 of 70 , Feb 11, 2011
      Marvin:

      It is easier to move a pebble than a boulder.

      A friend told me that he has no interest in large corporations at all, because
      those are places people go to die after they tire of their hearts and souls.
      This is not entirely unfair, and not universally true. It is also not wrong.

      My experience is that change and large organizations are largely incompatible.
      It is the stability of large companies that draws people to them. People who
      seek stability are less likely to adopt any new technique successfully. This is
      why they go from paying lip service to one technique to paying lip service to
      another.

      Agile requires companies to make a significant change. Small companies have less
      trouble with this than large ones, because stability and inertia are not their
      stock-in-trade.

      That being said, some companies have not conformed the life out of their people
      (at least not in all their divisions), and have great success going agile in
      specific teams or locations. I've seen cases where three buildings on one
      business campus go to XP in a big way, but he fourth blocks it, pretends, and
      internally refuse to try to change anything at all. This despite strong
      upper-management support.

      There are bastions of stability that we cannot assail. Breathe. Be. Accept.

      Tim Ottinger
      http://agileinaflash.blogspot.com/
      http://agileotter.blogspot.com/

      Need Mail bonding?
    • Kay A Pentecost
      Message 70 of 70 , Mar 3, 2011
        +10,000 (and I swore I'd never exaggerate again)

        Kay P