Re: High-fidelity Visualization – an Agile accelerator?

  • MarvinToll.com
    Message 1 of 20 , Feb 8, 2011
      hmmm... How do these two concepts improve our application?

      How do we use 'satisfaction of desires' features to test drive 'mechanism of fulfillment' features?

      What outcome(s) can we anticipate from this exercise?

      (I'm a Java guy and am struggling to catch-on to the concrete value-proposition for our application.)

      --- "marty.nelson" <noslenytram@...> wrote:

      > In the Agile and Beyond scheduler app, I would assume that the 'My Sessions' page is the 'satisfaction of desires' and the 'All sessions' with some type of 'choose this one' is the 'mechanism of fulfillment'. If this wasn't the intent of the app, then using this technique explicitly would help clarify the purpose.
      >
      > Now if this all makes sense to you, one thing you may notice is that the 'satisfaction of desires' feature defines the interface and needs that the 'mechanism of fulfillment' must ultimately provide. What this means is the 'satisfaction of desires' features can be used to test drive 'mechanism of fulfillment' features.
      >
      > --- In extremeprogramming@yahoogroups.com, "MarvinToll.com" <MarvinToll@> wrote:
      > >
      > > @marty - Can you make this concrete for me?
      > >
      > > In the context of our particular visualization what would constitute 'satisfaction of desires'?
      > >
      > > What would constitute 'mechanisms of fulfillment'?
      > >
      > > http://tinyurl.com/45qcfkm

    • marty.nelson
      Message 2 of 20 , Feb 11, 2011
        > hmmm... How do these two concepts improve our application?
        Users/Customers care about 'satisfaction of desires', and tolerate 'mechanisms of fulfillment' in order to get that. So your application improves because it a) gives users and customers more of what they explicitly want, and b) only thrusts upon the users the minimal mechanism need to achieve those outcomes.

        > How do we use 'satisfaction of desires' features to test drive 'mechanism of fulfillment' features?
        > What outcome(s) can we anticipate from this exercise?

        While the conversation is about 'satisfaction of desires' is subjective, once agreed upon it implies very specific requirements about what the system needs to provide to support that artifact. This is essentially the output side of an "acceptance test", so you can then define inputs and can create the 'mechanism of fulfillment' in a test first manner

        > (I'm a Java guy and am struggling to catch-on to the concrete value-proposition for our application.)

        Well another great reasons to have these conversations is that they expose weak or missing 'value-propositions'. For example, is the point of your application so that an attendee would have something to tell them the 'next session'? Is the point to provide a way to learn about sessions? Both? Does a user want to decide everything ahead of time? Or would having something with a 1st, 2nd and 3rd choice for each time slot that allowed JIT decisions be better? What does the organizer need to be shown to know this system is providing value? Are they hoping to do some planning or room balancing based on expected attendance? Is this meant to be a vote sessions up or down kind of thing?

        The point being, any investment in 'mechanisms of fulfillment' are dubious if we don't know what the various constituents hope to get out of the application ('satisfaction of desires').