Re: [XP] Re: New Agile Vehicles

  • D.André Dhondt
    Message 1 of 216 , Jan 23, 2011
      --- In extremeprogramming@yahoogroups.com<extremeprogramming%40yahoogroups.com>,
      "rasmus4200" <rasmus4200@...> wrote:
      > ... Most people know what needs to be done. They just lack the will power
      or discipline to change.

      On Sun, Jan 23, 2011 at 6:31 AM, dpeterson72 <david@...> wrote:

      > Yes, exactly. People don't have much willpower. Agile methods will always
      > fail if they rely on willpower to sustain them.

      I don't agree. People have lots of willpower -- we've hunted down the
      wolves, cleared the forests to make way for plows, bridged the rivers.
      We're a very willful species.

      Now, as to why we don't see more of our colleagues doing TDD, I personally
      think it's out of fear, low energy, high pressure, insufficient first-hand
      knowledge, and more--but it mostly comes down to having a supportive
      environment. We can do things that increase the energy in our environments,
      or reduce it--and energy is what allows us to exert our willpower.

      Discipline is easy when you know that most of what you will be doing is fun.

      --
      D. André Dhondt
      mobile: 215-805-0819

      Support low-cost conferences -- http://AgileTour.org/

    • Steven Gordon
      Message 216 of 216 , Jan 24, 2011
        On Mon, Jan 24, 2011 at 4:11 AM, D.André Dhondt
        <d.andre.dhondt@...> wrote:
        > On Mon, Jan 24, 2011 at 2:08 AM, Amir Kolsky <kolsky@...> wrote:
        >
        >>   And again, one is reminded of Ignaz Philipp Semmelweis…
        >>

        > Meaning that people tend to reject new ideas just because they're new?
        > (Semmelweis suggested surgeons should wash hands with chlorine between
        > patients).

        Alternative interpretation:

        Domains that consider themselves scientific tend to require formal
        proof instead of empirical success before accepting new ideas.