Re: New Agile Vehicles

  • dpeterson72
    Message 1 of 216 , Jan 23, 2011
      Yes, exactly. People don't have much willpower. Agile methods will always fail if they rely on willpower to sustain them.

      David
      ---
      http://blog.davidpeterson.co.uk/

      --- In extremeprogramming@yahoogroups.com, "rasmus4200" <rasmus4200@...> wrote:

      > --- In extremeprogramming@yahoogroups.com, Ron Jeffries <ronjeffries@> wrote:
      > >
      > > I would remind all here that we have seen this pattern for a long
      > > time with XP, back when XP was popular enough that teams would hear
      > > about it, take an immersion, and try it on their own. They would get
      > > stuck. They knew what to do, and they could not get themselves and
      > > their organization to do it.
      > >
      > > Ignorance is not the problem. What, then, is the problem?
      > >

      > I think most people struggle with agile for the same reason most of us don't eat right or exercise. It takes great discipline and it's hard work.
      >
      > I agree with you. Most people know what needs to be done. They just lack the will power or discipline to change.
      >
      > Cheers - Jonathan
      >
      > Twitter: @jrasmusson
      > http://agilewarrior.wordpress.com
      > The Agile Samurai - http://bit.ly/9wlCdz

    • Steven Gordon
      Message 216 of 216 , Jan 24, 2011
        On Mon, Jan 24, 2011 at 4:11 AM, D.André Dhondt
        <d.andre.dhondt@...> wrote:
        > On Mon, Jan 24, 2011 at 2:08 AM, Amir Kolsky <kolsky@...> wrote:
        >
        >>   And again, one is reminded of Ignaz Philipp Semmelweis…
        >>

        > Meaning that people tend to reject new ideas just because they're new?
        > (Semmelweis suggested surgeons should wash hands with chlorine between
        > patients).

        Alternative interpretation:

        Domains that consider themselves scientific tend to require formal
        proof instead of empirical success before accepting new ideas.