Re: [XP] Re: I am a Scrum Master. Should I learn XP practices?

  • Gustavo Cebrian Garcia
    Message 1 of 8 , Jan 10, 2011
      Hello,

      I know the concepts of XP. I will start asking for help and then I will do
      some more research...

      Gustavo.

      On 10 January 2011 18:30, april johnson <dot@...> wrote:

      > One strategy for dealing with the "not the technical leader of the team"
      > thing is to engage someone who is highly regarded on the technical side
      > right away.
      >
      > Ask for help, either with understanding the XP practices or introducing
      > them to the team, and you get both a bit more trust from your own honesty (I
      > hope - I'm assuming if you've been out of development for awhile you'll need
      > help) and the eyes of someone who knows the team's technical challenges more
      > intimately.
      >
      > My experience so far is that it's pretty easy to impose Scrum from outside
      > the tech team, but very difficult to get XP practices working through any
      > means other than the team seeing value and goYing after the practices
      > themselves.
      >

      > --- In extremeprogramming@yahoogroups.com<extremeprogramming%40yahoogroups.com>,
      > Adam Sroka <adam.sroka@...> wrote:
      > >
      > > Surely it couldn't hurt to learn anything new. I would caution you,
      > however,
      > > to be careful about how you approach introducing them to the team.
      > Assuming
      > > you are not already viewed as the technical leader of the team you will
      > be
      > > changing your relationship with them when you begin to suggest changes in
      > > the technical approach. That's not necessarily a bad thing, but it does
      > mean
      > > that you may have to fight to have your ideas heard. Plus, if you aren't
      > > successful they may begin to challenge you in other areas.
      > >
      > > My suggestion would be to go ahead and try it on your own, and if you
      > like
      > > what you find see if you can get some of the other team members
      > interested.
      > > But, don't force it on them, let them decide for themselves what they are
      > > willing to try. Later, if you find that there are obstacles that could be
      > > removed with some of these practices you might consider introducing one
      > of
      > > them as an experiment after discussing it in the retrospective. Tread
      > > carefully. Most of the negative experiences I have heard about with XP
      > (or
      > > Scrum, for that matter) are the result of people introducing them poorly.
      > >
      > > On Sun, Jan 9, 2011 at 10:52 AM, Gustavo Cebrian Garcia <
      > > g.cebrian.garcia@...> wrote:
      > >

      > > > Hello,
      > > >
      > > > My question is very simple, and I think the answer is quite tricky.
      > There
      > > > are so many areas to manage and improve, that, as a Scrum Master,
      > sometimes
      > > > you just can not do anything.
      > > > It is a long time I do not program, but I am really thinking in
      > starting to
      > > > learn some XP practices to guide my team...
      > > >
      > > > What is your experience on this?
      > > >
      > > > Thanks.
      > > >
      > > > Gustavo.

    • thierry henrio
      Message 2 of 8 , Jan 10, 2011
        Hello Gustavo

        On Mon, Jan 10, 2011 at 5:42 AM, Adam Sroka <adam.sroka@...> wrote:

        > My suggestion would be to go ahead and try it on your own, and if you like
        > what you find see if you can get some of the other team members interested.
        > But, don't force it on them, let them decide for themselves what they are
        > willing to try. Later, if you find that there are obstacles that could be
        > removed with some of these practices you might consider introducing one of
        > them as an experiment after discussing it in the retrospective.

        Wise
        You may even ask team it they had experience with any X practice, or if they
        wish to have, without naming X (X <- XP in this context)
        You might spot unrevealed champions of X, and have an opportunity to learn
        with them

        Cheers, Thierry