Re: [XP] I am a Scrum Master. Should I learn XP practices?

  • Laurent Bossavit
    Message 1 of 8 , Jan 9, 2011
      Hi Gustavo,

      > There are so many areas to manage and improve, that, as a Scrum
      > Master, sometimes
      > you just can not do anything.

      Good news for you... You're a Scrum Master. You know how to
      prioritize. :)

      Cheers,
      Laurent Bossavit
      laurent@...
    • april johnson
      Message 2 of 8 , Jan 10, 2011
        One strategy for dealing with the "not the technical leader of the team" thing is to engage someone who is highly regarded on the technical side right away.

        Ask for help, either with understanding the XP practices or introducing them to the team, and you get both a bit more trust from your own honesty (I hope - I'm assuming if you've been out of development for awhile you'll need help) and the eyes of someone who knows the team's technical challenges more intimately.

        My experience so far is that it's pretty easy to impose Scrum from outside the tech team, but very difficult to get XP practices working through any means other than the team seeing value and going after the practices themselves.

        --- In extremeprogramming@yahoogroups.com, Adam Sroka <adam.sroka@...> wrote:

        > Surely it couldn't hurt to learn anything new. I would caution you, however,
        > to be careful about how you approach introducing them to the team. Assuming
        > you are not already viewed as the technical leader of the team you will be
        > changing your relationship with them when you begin to suggest changes in
        > the technical approach. That's not necessarily a bad thing, but it does mean
        > that you may have to fight to have your ideas heard. Plus, if you aren't
        > successful they may begin to challenge you in other areas.
        >
        > My suggestion would be to go ahead and try it on your own, and if you like
        > what you find see if you can get some of the other team members interested.
        > But, don't force it on them, let them decide for themselves what they are
        > willing to try. Later, if you find that there are obstacles that could be
        > removed with some of these practices you might consider introducing one of
        > them as an experiment after discussing it in the retrospective. Tread
        > carefully. Most of the negative experiences I have heard about with XP (or
        > Scrum, for that matter) are the result of people introducing them poorly.
        >
        > On Sun, Jan 9, 2011 at 10:52 AM, Gustavo Cebrian Garcia <
        > g.cebrian.garcia@...> wrote:
        >

        > > Hello,
        > >
        > > My question is very simple, and I think the answer is quite tricky. There
        > > are so many areas to manage and improve, that, as a Scrum Master, sometimes
        > > you just can not do anything.
        > > It is a long time I do not program, but I am really thinking in starting to
        > > learn some XP practices to guide my team...
        > >
        > > What is your experience on this?
        > >
        > > Thanks.
        > >
        > > Gustavo.

      • Gustavo Cebrian Garcia
        Message 3 of 8 , Jan 10, 2011
          Hello,

          I know the concepts of XP. I will start asking for help and then I will do
          some more research...

          Gustavo.

          On 10 January 2011 18:30, april johnson <dot@...> wrote:

          > One strategy for dealing with the "not the technical leader of the team"
          > thing is to engage someone who is highly regarded on the technical side
          > right away.
          >
          > Ask for help, either with understanding the XP practices or introducing
          > them to the team, and you get both a bit more trust from your own honesty (I
          > hope - I'm assuming if you've been out of development for awhile you'll need
          > help) and the eyes of someone who knows the team's technical challenges more
          > intimately.
          >
          > My experience so far is that it's pretty easy to impose Scrum from outside
          > the tech team, but very difficult to get XP practices working through any
          > means other than the team seeing value and goYing after the practices
          > themselves.
          >

          > --- In extremeprogramming@yahoogroups.com<extremeprogramming%40yahoogroups.com>,
          > Adam Sroka <adam.sroka@...> wrote:
          > >
          > > Surely it couldn't hurt to learn anything new. I would caution you,
          > however,
          > > to be careful about how you approach introducing them to the team.
          > Assuming
          > > you are not already viewed as the technical leader of the team you will
          > be
          > > changing your relationship with them when you begin to suggest changes in
          > > the technical approach. That's not necessarily a bad thing, but it does
          > mean
          > > that you may have to fight to have your ideas heard. Plus, if you aren't
          > > successful they may begin to challenge you in other areas.
          > >
          > > My suggestion would be to go ahead and try it on your own, and if you
          > like
          > > what you find see if you can get some of the other team members
          > interested.
          > > But, don't force it on them, let them decide for themselves what they are
          > > willing to try. Later, if you find that there are obstacles that could be
          > > removed with some of these practices you might consider introducing one
          > of
          > > them as an experiment after discussing it in the retrospective. Tread
          > > carefully. Most of the negative experiences I have heard about with XP
          > (or
          > > Scrum, for that matter) are the result of people introducing them poorly.
          > >
          > > On Sun, Jan 9, 2011 at 10:52 AM, Gustavo Cebrian Garcia <
          > > g.cebrian.garcia@...> wrote:
          > >

          > > > Hello,
          > > >
          > > > My question is very simple, and I think the answer is quite tricky.
          > There
          > > > are so many areas to manage and improve, that, as a Scrum Master,
          > sometimes
          > > > you just can not do anything.
          > > > It is a long time I do not program, but I am really thinking in
          > starting to
          > > > learn some XP practices to guide my team...
          > > >
          > > > What is your experience on this?
          > > >
          > > > Thanks.
          > > >
          > > > Gustavo.

        • thierry henrio
          Message 4 of 8 , Jan 10, 2011
            Hello Gustavo

            On Mon, Jan 10, 2011 at 5:42 AM, Adam Sroka <adam.sroka@...> wrote:

            > My suggestion would be to go ahead and try it on your own, and if you like
            > what you find see if you can get some of the other team members interested.
            > But, don't force it on them, let them decide for themselves what they are
            > willing to try. Later, if you find that there are obstacles that could be
            > removed with some of these practices you might consider introducing one of
            > them as an experiment after discussing it in the retrospective.

            Wise
            You may even ask team it they had experience with any X practice, or if they
            wish to have, without naming X (X <- XP in this context)
            You might spot unrevealed champions of X, and have an opportunity to learn
            with them

            Cheers, Thierry