Re: Becoming rational about Irrationality

  • PAUL
    Message 1 of 19 , Dec 30, 2010
      Hi Jeff,

      > "If you see people doing something apparently irrational,
      > realize that there is probably something motivating them
      > to do this."
      >
      > You may not be able to address the root cause. But being aware of it at least lets you know what you're up against.

      When I started this thread this is the type of thing I had in mind. There is always a rational explanation for the irrational. Organisations are a complex web of motives and agendas, with people acting out of fear and the desire to preserve some modicum of personal safety as much as anything else.

      When looked at in this way, supposedly irrational behaviour suddenly makes a lot of sense.

      This along with the other false assumptions I outlined tells me that there are limits to our ability to affect organisational change, especially for large organisations. People are acting in dysfunctional ways for good reason. Removing those reasons and aligning the whole organisation is usually beyond our remit.

      Regards,

      Paul.