Re: [XP] Becoming rational about Irrationality

    Message 1 of 19 , Dec 13, 2010
      Hello, George. On Monday, December 13, 2010, at 3:18:42 PM, you
      wrote:

      > Yes, rational and irrational don't seem to be the only two choices.

      That's odd, because rationally ...

      We cannot solve our problems with the same thinking we used when we created them.
      -- Albert Einstein
    • Tim Ottinger
      Message 2 of 19 , Dec 13, 2010
        Message 3 of 19 , Dec 30, 2010
          --- Dale Emery <dale@...> wrote:
          > I figure that people are largely heuristic most of the time.
          > [...] there's a kind of rationality in the heuristics.

          Yes, heuristics seem to guide most human behavior, from what I've seen.

          Also, here's a heuristic that I have found useful:
          "When you see people doing something bad, unproductive, and/or
          self-destructive, realize that there is probably some good
          reason motivating them to do this."

          (IE: Most people are not insane. ;-)

          When you see dysfunctional behavior, look for the positive benefits they get from that behavior. You'll have a better chance of reasoning with them and/or motivating different behavior if you see what's motivating them, rather than just thinking that they're crazy and/or irrational.

          Like, why would team members or team leaders play "schedule chicken" -- hiding the fact that they or their team are behind schedule; causing risk to the project and company? Well, typically in most organizations, those who admit having problems are punished and/or demoted (in the process of being "helped" by well-meaning superiors), and most likely would have been better off without this "help", as their peers were just as late, if not more so (and hiding it more successfully). So receiving help hurts the receiver without benefiting the project/company, because the project(s) will get delayed anyway by others as their lateness becomes apparent.

          "If you see people doing something apparently irrational,
          realize that there is probably something motivating them
          to do this."

          You may not be able to address the root cause. But being aware of it at least lets you know what you're up against.
        • PAUL
          Message 4 of 19 , Dec 30, 2010
            Hi Jeff,

            > "If you see people doing something apparently irrational,
            > realize that there is probably something motivating them
            > to do this."
            >
            > You may not be able to address the root cause. But being aware of it at least lets you know what you're up against.

            When I started this thread this is the type of thing I had in mind. There is always a rational explanation for the irrational. Organisations are a complex web of motives and agendas, with people acting out of fear and the desire to preserve some modicum of personal safety as much as anything else.

            When looked at in this way, supposedly irrational behaviour suddenly makes a lot of sense.

            This along with the other false assumptions I outlined tells me that there are limits to our ability to affect organisational change, especially for large organisations. People are acting in dysfunctional ways for good reason. Removing those reasons and aligning the whole organisation is usually beyond our remit.

            Regards,

            Paul.