Re: [XP] Becoming rational about Irrationality

  • Tim Ottinger
    Message 1 of 19 , Dec 13, 2010
      #2 might be true, if you accept that our notions of pain and pleasure are not
      well-defined and rational, but based on precedence. I might avoid following your
      advice if you look like someone who has mistreated me in the past, as early as
      kindergarten or before. I might see your plan as good because you remind me of
      my grandmother, who gave me cookies. Since human precedence is not rational but
      historical, social, etc, it is impossible to predict it in a stranger and nearly
      so in a friend or relative.

      Also, to some delaying pain is avoidance and to others it is not. Again, not
      rational. Avoiding confrontation with someone who reminds me of Mr. Simms in 3rd
      grade might seem like minimizing pain (for now). Lots of weird effects come into
      play. Easy to just call it 'irrational' (as such it is) and live on.

      Tim Ottinger
      http://agileinaflash.blogspot.com/
      http://agileotter.blogspot.com/

      Message 2 of 19 , Dec 13, 2010
        Are these axioms or theorums? If axiomatic, they don't have to be proven. :-)
        Basically, the question is whether we need a rational proof of irrationality
        being unresolvable. Oh, the clash of the modern and postmodern, how I
        love it!

        Message 3 of 19 , Dec 13, 2010
          Hello, Tim. On Monday, December 13, 2010, at 12:29:29 PM, you
          wrote:

          > Are these axioms or theorums? If axiomatic, they don't have to be proven. :-)
          > Basically, the question is whether we need a rational proof of irrationality
          > being unresolvable. Oh, the clash of the modern and postmodern, how I
          > love it!

          If you behave as if people are irrational, you will often find that
          they are. If you behave as if people are rational, you will often
          find that they are.

          Testing quality into a program is like spinning straw into gold.
          -- George Cameron.
        • Dale Emery
          Message 4 of 19 , Dec 13, 2010
            Hi Ron and all,

            > If you behave as if people are irrational, you will often find that they
            > are. If you behave as if people are rational, you will often find that they
            > are.

            I figure that people are largely heuristic most of the time. Not exactly
            rational in the sense of deciding by logic, but there's a kind of
            rationality in the heuristics.

            Dale

            --
            Dale Emery
            Consultant to software teams and leaders

            Message 5 of 19 , Dec 13, 2010
              I find that I interface with other people better when I behave as if I am
              rational ;-)

              On Mon, Dec 13, 2010 at 11:34 AM, Dale Emery <dale@...> wrote:

              > Hi Ron and all,
              >

              > > If you behave as if people are irrational, you will often find that they
              > > are. If you behave as if people are rational, you will often find that
              > they
              > > are.
              > >
              > I figure that people are largely heuristic most of the time. Not exactly
              > rational in the sense of deciding by logic, but there's a kind of
              > rationality in the heuristics.
              >
              > Dale
              >
              > --
              > Dale Emery
              > Consultant to software teams and leaders
              > Web: http://dhemery.com

            • George Dinwiddie
              Message 6 of 19 , Dec 13, 2010
                On 12/13/10 2:34 PM, Dale Emery wrote:
                > Hi Ron and all,
                >
                >> If you behave as if people are irrational, you will often find that they
                >> are. If you behave as if people are rational, you will often find that they
                >> are.
                >>
                > I figure that people are largely heuristic most of the time. Not exactly
                > rational in the sense of deciding by logic, but there's a kind of
                > rationality in the heuristics.

                Yes, rational and irrational don't seem to be the only two choices.

                --
                Dec. 14 - Agile Richmond in Glen Allen, VA
                http://georgedinwiddie.eventbrite.com/
                Message 7 of 19 , Dec 13, 2010
                  Hello, George. On Monday, December 13, 2010, at 3:18:42 PM, you
                  wrote:

                  > Yes, rational and irrational don't seem to be the only two choices.

                  That's odd, because rationally ...

                  We cannot solve our problems with the same thinking we used when we created them.
                  -- Albert Einstein
                • Tim Ottinger
                  Message 8 of 19 , Dec 13, 2010
                    Message 9 of 19 , Dec 30, 2010
                      --- Dale Emery <dale@...> wrote:
                      > I figure that people are largely heuristic most of the time.
                      > [...] there's a kind of rationality in the heuristics.

                      Yes, heuristics seem to guide most human behavior, from what I've seen.

                      Also, here's a heuristic that I have found useful:
                      "When you see people doing something bad, unproductive, and/or
                      self-destructive, realize that there is probably some good
                      reason motivating them to do this."

                      (IE: Most people are not insane. ;-)

                      When you see dysfunctional behavior, look for the positive benefits they get from that behavior. You'll have a better chance of reasoning with them and/or motivating different behavior if you see what's motivating them, rather than just thinking that they're crazy and/or irrational.

                      Like, why would team members or team leaders play "schedule chicken" -- hiding the fact that they or their team are behind schedule; causing risk to the project and company? Well, typically in most organizations, those who admit having problems are punished and/or demoted (in the process of being "helped" by well-meaning superiors), and most likely would have been better off without this "help", as their peers were just as late, if not more so (and hiding it more successfully). So receiving help hurts the receiver without benefiting the project/company, because the project(s) will get delayed anyway by others as their lateness becomes apparent.

                      "If you see people doing something apparently irrational,
                      realize that there is probably something motivating them
                      to do this."

                      You may not be able to address the root cause. But being aware of it at least lets you know what you're up against.
                    • PAUL
                      Message 10 of 19 , Dec 30, 2010
                        Hi Jeff,

                        > "If you see people doing something apparently irrational,
                        > realize that there is probably something motivating them
                        > to do this."
                        >
                        > You may not be able to address the root cause. But being aware of it at least lets you know what you're up against.

                        When I started this thread this is the type of thing I had in mind. There is always a rational explanation for the irrational. Organisations are a complex web of motives and agendas, with people acting out of fear and the desire to preserve some modicum of personal safety as much as anything else.

                        When looked at in this way, supposedly irrational behaviour suddenly makes a lot of sense.

                        This along with the other false assumptions I outlined tells me that there are limits to our ability to affect organisational change, especially for large organisations. People are acting in dysfunctional ways for good reason. Removing those reasons and aligning the whole organisation is usually beyond our remit.

                        Regards,

                        Paul.