Re: [XP] Re: New Agile Vehicles

  • Tim Ottinger
    Message 1 of 216 , Dec 9, 2010
      ----- Original Message ----

      The problem, I think, is the inestimable cost and the fear.

      They don't know how long it would take or what it will
      damage in the process. If you don't know the cost, and
      fear it will be high, and have other valuable things to do,
      it's easy to opt out.

      For what it's worth, they're right to an extent. I've seen
      things break with ugly consequences and loss of opportunity
      time due to large-scale changes (won't say Refactorings).
      I've seen pairs of programmers sucked down in technical
      issues that the code base wasn't really ready for, maybe
      taking multiple attempts before the rest of the code was
      clean enough to really allow it.

      I've seen the same kinds of problems with human changes,
      not knowing who would be upset, why, or with how much
      ability to damage the team and its leadership. Some places
      are dangerous, because a misstep means someone will take
      over Taylorize it. Once they're good and mad, you can bet
      they'll remove the team leads and stop this silliness.
      They'll set up individual work assignments, silos of
      responsibility, restore paperwork anaysis, and put testing
      back in QA "where it belongs."

      So, I suggest fear. Some fear is founded, some less so.
      Sometimes it's amazing how little resistance there is to
      doing a better job, and sometimes it's amazing how much.

      Tim Ottinger
      http://agileinaflash.blogspot.com/
      http://agileotter.blogspot.com/
    • Steven Gordon
      Message 216 of 216 , Jan 24, 2011
        On Mon, Jan 24, 2011 at 4:11 AM, D.André Dhondt
        <d.andre.dhondt@...> wrote:
        > On Mon, Jan 24, 2011 at 2:08 AM, Amir Kolsky <kolsky@...> wrote:
        >
        >>   And again, one is reminded of Ignaz Philipp Semmelweis…
        >>

        > Meaning that people tend to reject new ideas just because they're new?
        > (Semmelweis suggested surgeons should wash hands with chlorine between
        > patients).

        Alternative interpretation:

        Domains that consider themselves scientific tend to require formal
        proof instead of empirical success before accepting new ideas.