Re: [XP] Re: New Agile Vehicles

  • Joshua Kerievsky
    Message 1 of 216 , Dec 2, 2010
      On Thu, Dec 2, 2010 at 5:05 AM, Gary Brown <glbrown@...> wrote:

      > If I have more than one idea, and I work on the most important one first,
      > isn't that a prioritized backlog? Even if it is just in my head?

      We make priority decisions everyday. We don't build up long lists of stuff
      and try to prioritize them, as we found that to be wasteful.

      "Given such engagement, I think even beginners can learn to evolve software
      > from a small group of critical stories, without building a backlog."
      >
      > Isn't a small group of critical stories a backlog?

      To me, the real issue is not having much time between selecting work to do
      and doing it.

      > "We've jettisoned estimates, iterations, backlogs, release plans, index
      > cards, planning boards, standups, product demos, formal retrospectives."
      >
      > That seems reasonable in your context. Do you think that would be a good
      > starting point for a medium to large organization that is transitioning to
      > Agile?

      Such organizations struggle with how to produce small, important pieces of
      quality work in a reasonably short amount of time. Does that time need to
      be fixed? I don't think it matters so long as it is short - e.g. 2 - 5
      days.

      Learning to take large pieces of work and break them into small, important
      pieces that add value is a critical skill - yet we don't need to teach folks
      story point estimating to teach that. In fact, I've found that the
      estimation process confuses people and makes them uncomfortable. So what
      good stuff can we do without it? Turns out, giving up iteration-level
      estimates, even for beginners, isn't a show stopper. They do fine without
      them and still get closer to the goal of producing small pieces of valuable,
      quality software.

      Our goal is to be as useful to customers as possible. Removing process,
      rather than adding to it or keeping it static, has helped with that goal.
      It helps to not begin with a large process, since folks tend to have
      trouble letting go of things they learned to do (un-learning, as Laurent was
      calling it). So what is the least amount of process we can begin with to
      get the desired results? Perhaps some of the traditional agile rituals and
      practices aren't needed after all? One way to find out is by experimenting
      to distinguish what is indeed critical and what is unnecessary in your
      context.

      --
      best,
      jk

      --
      Joshua Kerievsky
      Founder, CEO

      Amplify Your Agility
      Coaching | Training | Assessment | eLearning

    • Steven Gordon
      Message 216 of 216 , Jan 24, 2011
        On Mon, Jan 24, 2011 at 4:11 AM, D.André Dhondt
        <d.andre.dhondt@...> wrote:
        > On Mon, Jan 24, 2011 at 2:08 AM, Amir Kolsky <kolsky@...> wrote:
        >
        >>   And again, one is reminded of Ignaz Philipp Semmelweis…
        >>

        > Meaning that people tend to reject new ideas just because they're new?
        > (Semmelweis suggested surgeons should wash hands with chlorine between
        > patients).

        Alternative interpretation:

        Domains that consider themselves scientific tend to require formal
        proof instead of empirical success before accepting new ideas.