Re: [XP] Re: New Agile Vehicles

  • Gary Brown
    Message 1 of 216 , Dec 2, 2010
      Joshua,

      My mail reader is making a mess of this message, so I'm going to pull a
      couple of quotes out of context and ask my questions.

      "We treat content like code. We like to have something shippable ASAP, even
      if it is only one page. We work on the most important ideas first."

      If I have more than one idea, and I work on the most important one first,
      isn't that a prioritized backlog? Even if it is just in my head?

      "Given such engagement, I think even beginners can learn to evolve software
      from a small group of critical stories, without building a backlog."

      Isn't a small group of critical stories a backlog?

      "We've jettisoned estimates, iterations, backlogs, release plans, index
      cards, planning boards, standups, product demos, formal retrospectives."

      That seems reasonable in your context. Do you think that would be a good
      starting point for a medium to large organization that is transitioning to
      Agile?

      Just curious,

      GB.
    • Steven Gordon
      Message 216 of 216 , Jan 24, 2011
        On Mon, Jan 24, 2011 at 4:11 AM, D.André Dhondt
        <d.andre.dhondt@...> wrote:
        > On Mon, Jan 24, 2011 at 2:08 AM, Amir Kolsky <kolsky@...> wrote:
        >
        >>   And again, one is reminded of Ignaz Philipp Semmelweis…
        >>

        > Meaning that people tend to reject new ideas just because they're new?
        > (Semmelweis suggested surgeons should wash hands with chlorine between
        > patients).

        Alternative interpretation:

        Domains that consider themselves scientific tend to require formal
        proof instead of empirical success before accepting new ideas.