[XP] Re: New Agile Vehicles and Parallel Parking

  • JeffGrigg
    Message 1 of 216 , Dec 1, 2010
      --- Joshua Kerievsky <joshua@...> wrote:
      > Semler thinks it is absurd that for 100 years the automobile
      > industry failed to innovate a way out of the absurd moves we
      > have to make to parallel park a car.

      They/we did. Visit any large parking lot. Notice: No parallel parking needed. We have largely "innovated our way out of" parallel parking. How often do you parallel park?
    • Steven Gordon
      Message 216 of 216 , Jan 24, 2011
        On Mon, Jan 24, 2011 at 4:11 AM, D.André Dhondt
        <d.andre.dhondt@...> wrote:
        > On Mon, Jan 24, 2011 at 2:08 AM, Amir Kolsky <kolsky@...> wrote:
        >
        >>   And again, one is reminded of Ignaz Philipp Semmelweis…
        >>

        > Meaning that people tend to reject new ideas just because they're new?
        > (Semmelweis suggested surgeons should wash hands with chlorine between
        > patients).

        Alternative interpretation:

        Domains that consider themselves scientific tend to require formal
        proof instead of empirical success before accepting new ideas.