Re: [XP] Re: New Agile Vehicles

  • Gary Brown
    Message 1 of 216 , Dec 1 3:25 PM
      Hey, Josh!

      ----- Original Message -----
      From: "Joshua Kerievsky" <joshua@...>
      To: <extremeprogramming@yahoogroups.com>
      Sent: Monday, November 29, 2010 6:19 AM
      Subject: Re: [XP] Re: New Agile Vehicles

      > On Sat, Nov 27, 2010 at 12:47 AM, PAUL <beckfordp@...> wrote:
      >
      >> Few of us are actually practising and moving the art forward.
      >>

      > My colleagues and I continue to practice this stuff as part of building
      > and
      > selling software to people and companies around the globe. We're closing
      > in
      > on 2 million in gross sales, having started with just an idea. Along the
      > way, we've jettisoned a good deal of traditional agile practices. Now I
      > look at what we're doing and wonder if it would make for a better starting
      > point for groups in a similar situation. I've been reading the book
      > Rework
      > (37Signals) and am happy to see that they do many of the things we do
      > (e.g.
      > not maintaining a backlog).

      I think it would be safe to say that your context at IL is a bit different
      than most Agile shops, whether beginning or highly experienced. When you
      want to add a new album to eLearning, how do you communicate that with your
      team? Do you a make a list of ideas that you want to express in the new
      album? Assuming that you do make a list, is that a backlog?

      Being literal here, Agile is the manifesto and the principles behind, so
      technically there are no Agile practices. That said, what Agile practices
      have you jetisoned?

      Rework is a great book. I would call it Agile for business management. We
      secretly placed one on our company president's office chair. I hope he
      reads it! 8^)

      > I don't believe it is "Ri" level and
      > inaccessible to beginners. I also know it isn't a silver bullet - just
      > advice about what we've learned along the way. New agile vehicles don't
      > ignore the driver - they are simply describing what folks are driving
      > these
      > days and whether such vehicles are a good/better fit for the roads you
      > find
      > yourself on.

      Actually, I think that a *really* tight team could do away with backlogs, if
      their Customer/Product Owner was engaged enough and savy enough. I think
      that it is important to remember that the backlog idea is about moving from
      an inches thick spec containing everything and the kitchen sink to a more
      agile way of capturing requirements and deciding when to implement them. It
      is probably a good idea for Agile beginners to try it for a while to see if
      it works for them, and more importantly why it works for them, assuming it
      does.

      GB.
    • Steven Gordon
      Message 216 of 216 , Jan 24, 2011
        On Mon, Jan 24, 2011 at 4:11 AM, D.André Dhondt
        <d.andre.dhondt@...> wrote:
        > On Mon, Jan 24, 2011 at 2:08 AM, Amir Kolsky <kolsky@...> wrote:
        >
        >>   And again, one is reminded of Ignaz Philipp Semmelweis…
        >>

        > Meaning that people tend to reject new ideas just because they're new?
        > (Semmelweis suggested surgeons should wash hands with chlorine between
        > patients).

        Alternative interpretation:

        Domains that consider themselves scientific tend to require formal
        proof instead of empirical success before accepting new ideas.