Re: [XP] Re: New Agile Vehicles

  • Laurent Bossavit
    Message 1 of 216 , Dec 1, 2010
      Hi Josh,
      > Rather than blaming folks for being incompetent, we need to innovate
      > ways to
      > make successful software development easier.

      A few random thoughts here...

      The excellent "Making Software" book has an excellent chapter by Mark
      Guzdial on "Why is it so hard to learn to program", with extensive
      discussion of recent research and experiments around the topic. There
      are interesting hints that people actually know how to express
      solutions as computations, but become incompetent when they have to
      express those solutions in existing programming languages.

      Yet, with the rate at which new programming languages spring up, you'd
      think if the solution was going to come from that area of innovation
      we would have happened on it by now.

      Also... This Sunday I tweeted the following:

      We rarely mention the most basic problem: most programmers are not
      well educated for the job they do. -- David Parnas

      Somewhat to my surprise this was retweeted by 40+ people, which I'm
      interpreting as broad agreement. I'm not sure if that's "blaming folks
      for being incompetent" but we seem to recognize that part of the issue
      is with education.

      Do you find, for instance, that before they can be successful people
      and teams need to *un*learn some things?

      Cheers,
      Laurent Bossavit
      laurent@...
    • Steven Gordon
      Message 216 of 216 , Jan 24, 2011
        On Mon, Jan 24, 2011 at 4:11 AM, D.André Dhondt
        <d.andre.dhondt@...> wrote:
        > On Mon, Jan 24, 2011 at 2:08 AM, Amir Kolsky <kolsky@...> wrote:
        >
        >>   And again, one is reminded of Ignaz Philipp Semmelweis…
        >>

        > Meaning that people tend to reject new ideas just because they're new?
        > (Semmelweis suggested surgeons should wash hands with chlorine between
        > patients).

        Alternative interpretation:

        Domains that consider themselves scientific tend to require formal
        proof instead of empirical success before accepting new ideas.