[XP] Re: New Agile Vehicles

  • PAUL
    Message 1 of 216 , Dec 1, 2010
      Hi Joshua,

      It all depends on the audience I think...
      --- In extremeprogramming@yahoogroups.com, Joshua Kerievsky <joshua@...> wrote:

      > I've seen a trend towards what I'll call "lean enchiladas." These processes
      > have been crafted by experienced XP/Agile folks who have spent years
      > experimenting to remove waste and minimize process in order to focus more
      > mercilessly on successful product development. Lean enchiladas don't
      > resemble Scrum or XP enough to say that they are new models of those old
      > processes. They are new Agile vehicles. Few know about them and some are
      > perhaps happy about that. I think the world needs some better Agile
      > vehicles and I would encourage folks to describe them.

      I've used all (most of) these supposedly new echniladas, often within a single project. I didn't need a label or a recipe book though, we would work without a backlog when there wasn't one, skip iteration planning when it wasn't needed, we'd apply, inspect and adapt as made sense at the time.

      I would encouraged able drivers to do the same. I would offer completely different advice to the novice though.

      My main beef is how some of these enchiladas are sold as alternatives, they are not. If you get the values and principles then they are just different practices. If you don't then they can be a source of confusion.

      Perhaps not on this board, but on others, ideas that are decidely non Agile are being regurgitated and presented as new (for example anyone who as considered CMMI level 5 knows all about SPC and conrol charts).

      Here is the rub. The best people at adopting Agile tend to be the ones that were doing pretty well with waterfall despite its limitations. The worst Agile adopters I've come across, weren't fairing too well with waterfall either. If we do want to send a more nuanced message to the novices, then we need to be clear about the role of skill. I don't think that is happening.

      No vehicle is going to compensate for incompetence at the wheel!!

      Regards,

      Paul.
      > --
      > best,
      > jk
      >
      > --
      > Joshua Kerievsky
      > Founder, CEO
      > Industrial Logic, Inc.
      > Web: http://industriallogic.com
      > Twitter: @JoshuaKerievsky, @IndustrialLogic
      >
      > Amplify Your Agility
      > Coaching | Training | Assessment | eLearning

    • Steven Gordon
      Message 216 of 216 , Jan 24, 2011
        On Mon, Jan 24, 2011 at 4:11 AM, D.André Dhondt
        <d.andre.dhondt@...> wrote:
        > On Mon, Jan 24, 2011 at 2:08 AM, Amir Kolsky <kolsky@...> wrote:
        >
        >>   And again, one is reminded of Ignaz Philipp Semmelweis…
        >>

        > Meaning that people tend to reject new ideas just because they're new?
        > (Semmelweis suggested surgeons should wash hands with chlorine between
        > patients).

        Alternative interpretation:

        Domains that consider themselves scientific tend to require formal
        proof instead of empirical success before accepting new ideas.