Re: [XP] Re: New Agile Vehicles

  • Steven Gordon
    Message 1 of 216 , Nov 30, 2010
      That is good advice for "drivers", but does not really help "vehicle
      providers".

      We are pretty good at "driving" our own "vehicles" on our own projects.
      Unfortunately, our learned skill does not translate easily to new
      "drivers", so we are alway tempted to try to design an improved "vehicle",
      one that is easier for beginners to keep on the road but will be just as
      good as ours when they gain experience.

      SteveG

      On Tue, Nov 30, 2010 at 8:12 PM, PAUL <beckfordp@...> wrote:

      > Hi Ron,
      >

      > > Well, to me, your original posting was so nihilistic as to make me
      > > wonder why you bothered to post it. :) Since none of us are rational
      > > enough to be swayed by it, or by anything, our behavior is
      > > essentially random. Influencing us is impossible.
      > >
      > > And yet, somehow we seem to improve as individuals, as teams, and
      > > even as influencers. It's a puzzlement.
      >
      > I promised you something a bit more positive. Well I've got further in the
      > book now so here it is :) It's interesting the reactions to what I wrote. If
      > you think about it, what I said is no more then common sense, yet the
      > reaction was somewhat irrational, as if I had killed hope itself.
      >
      > Well the positive news is that the only thing in the dock was false hope.
      > If we accept that change is hard we can give up on the false hope that when
      > the going gets difficult all we need to do is ditch our current vehicle and
      > find a shinny new one. I would bet on something tried and tested over
      > something shinny and new anyway :)
      >
      > If Scrum or XP isn't working for you, the answer isn't necessarily Kanban
      > or yet another new variation on the same theme. How about just getting
      > better at driving the vehicle you've got? After all Scrum is built on the
      > idea of apply, inspect and adapt, so if the problem really is with the
      > vehicle and you find that you need snow tires then go get some, uprated
      > break?, then get them too. Pretty soon you've got a new custom vehicle of
      > your own making (you've also still got those dry weather tires for when it
      > stops snowing :)).
      >
      > Chances are though is that the vehicle is just fine, and you haven't got
      > very good at driving it yet :) The patience comes in by setting appropriate
      > expectations. By focusing on the driver over the vehicle, we can make
      > allowances for all the false starts new drivers are likely to make, and
      > provide safe opportunities for them to fail safe whilst they learn.
      >
      > Why would you expect to start winning races the first time ever you stepped
      > into a car? Well new Agile teams start with this expectation all the time,
      > and are surprised when they end up driving into a ditch. Pretty soon they
      > are in the market for something shinny and new all over again :) And so the
      > fad cycle continues :)
      >
      > Regards,
      >
      > Paul.

    • Steven Gordon
      Message 216 of 216 , Jan 24, 2011
        On Mon, Jan 24, 2011 at 4:11 AM, D.André Dhondt
        <d.andre.dhondt@...> wrote:
        > On Mon, Jan 24, 2011 at 2:08 AM, Amir Kolsky <kolsky@...> wrote:
        >
        >>   And again, one is reminded of Ignaz Philipp Semmelweis…
        >>

        > Meaning that people tend to reject new ideas just because they're new?
        > (Semmelweis suggested surgeons should wash hands with chlorine between
        > patients).

        Alternative interpretation:

        Domains that consider themselves scientific tend to require formal
        proof instead of empirical success before accepting new ideas.