Re: Splitting a story question

  • JeffGrigg
    Message 1 of 18 , Nov 10, 2010
      --- "Lior Friedman" <lfriedmal@...> wrote:
      > [...] many agent gathering data sending it the second level
      > to be processed on dedicated servers. [...]
      >
      > [...] it require a big changes to the system (architectural
      > changes) that most likely will take a few months [...]
      >
      > Question is how to approach the splitting of the epic into
      > smaller stories which can fit inside an iteration and still
      > make sense from the business side.

      Because the interaction of agent and server levels is not directly visible to the users, and the issue is performance, the business-observable results of the whole effort will be (1) reduced latency before updated data is visible and (2) reduced hardware and support costs (number of servers) for a given number of agents. So those are the results you'd like to see, incrementally, in intermediate iterations.

      If the agents send more than one kind of message to the server, then this suggests optimizing each message type independently, each in its own iteration. Most expensive CPU first.

      If it's more monolithic, then work on separating the server logic into layers and moving the layers to the client.

      (If you don't have it already, you will probably want to have an application library of code shared between the agents and servers, so that they can both use the same business logic.)

      During the transition period, the communication layer between the agents and server may need to be more flexible: It may need to handle messages of different layers of abstraction while logic moves from server to agent. It will need to change, possibly in significant ways, as layers of logic move from server to agent -- moving the communication layer up in the stack of business logic.

      I suggest doing brainstorming with the team. Openly consider silly, impractical and impossible options, as these may inspire someone with an idea that might turn out to work quite well.