[XP] Re: The Value of Gelled Teams (was Principle #11)

  • JeffGrigg
    Message 1 of 13 , Nov 7, 2010

      --- George Paci <gpaci@...> wrote:
      > I agree, but I completely fail to see why you used a smiley.

      Yes, perhaps a crying smiley would have been more appropriate:
      My thought was...
      "And the first thing most companies disband as a project
      comes to a close ...is the highly-productive jelled team.
      ...which is often recognized as the most valuable thing
      that the team produced."

      So I smile with a strong sense of irony.

      > The entire reason I applied for my current job was that
      > I was sure it was a highly-productive jelled team.* Yet
      > there are plenty of organizations that give essentially
      > no weight to the value of a jelled team, and in fact seem
      > blind to teams at all: they just shuffle individual
      > developers around between projects with no notion that
      > they actually *interact* with each other beyond exchanging
      > sports banter at the water cooler.

      Seems like we're in violent agreement.

      > how do you build on that team? Can you grow it?

      Yep. I'd hope for an employer who not only has a good team, but who shows signs that they can grow more good teams too.

      > Moving on to (more) off-topic stuff:
      >>> Think back: were the kids who were always saying
      >>> "That's stupid" the *smart* ones?

      >> We're good at recognizing our failures in others. ;->

      Agreement again: I'm saying that the kids saying "that's stupid" are probably good at recognizing that in others (but not themselves).

      (If I'm out to get you, you'll know it. At work I've fired several people in my career. And in every case they knew weeks in advance that I was going to do them in, and what they had to do to change their behavior so that I wouldn't. And in those cases where they did not change their behavior, they were given an opportunity to grace our competitors with their fine skills. ;-> And in all cases I heard about later, the change turned out to be good for them.)