Re: Principle #11

  • MarvinToll.com
    Message 1 of 13 , Nov 4, 2010
      Kay,

      Are you saying that a five month discussion on the 'Agile Alliance' LinkedIn site with almost 400 posts did not influence the effort to begin looking seriously at reworking the Principles?

      Message 2 of 13 , Nov 4, 2010
        Hello, MarvinToll.com. On Thursday, November 4, 2010, at 7:10:46
        AM, you wrote:

        > Are you saying that a five month discussion on the 'Agile
        > Alliance' LinkedIn site with almost 400 posts did not influence
        > the effort to begin looking seriously at reworking the Principles?

        This topic remains off topic. We now return you to your regularly
        scheduled discussion of how actually to do XP and Agile.

        You are to act in the light of experience as guided by intelligence.
        -- Nero Wolfe
      • Kay A Pentecost
        Message 3 of 13 , Nov 4, 2010
          Marvin Toll wrote,

          > Kay,
          >
          > Are you saying that a five month discussion on the 'Agile Alliance'
          > LinkedIn site with almost 400 posts did not influence the effort to
          > begin looking seriously at reworking the Principles?

          No, I wasn't saying anything like that. What I asked was simply "are you
          saying that Scott wrote that article because of you?"

          There are many straight forward answers to a question like that.

          "Yes" is one, "No" is one. "Well.... " is an answer.

          Accusing me of trying to manipulate you into a specific answer is simply
          adversarial.

          And projection, on your part.

          Kay P

        • ronjeffriesacm@gmail.com
          Message 4 of 13 , Nov 4, 2010
            No. Really. Off topic.

            On Nov 4, 2010, at 8:59 AM, "Kay A Pentecost" <tranzpupy@...> wrote:

            > Marvin Toll wrote,
            >

            >> Kay,
            >>
            >> Are you saying that a five month discussion on the 'Agile Alliance'
            >> LinkedIn site with almost 400 posts did not influence the effort to
            >> begin looking seriously at reworking the Principles?
            >
            > No, I wasn't saying anything like that. What I asked was simply "are you
            > saying that Scott wrote that article because of you?"
            >
            > There are many straight forward answers to a question like that.
            >
            > "Yes" is one, "No" is one. "Well.... " is an answer.
            >

            > Accusing me of trying to manipulate you into a specific answer is simply
            > adversarial.
            >
            > And projection, on your part.
            >
            > Kay P
            >

            >> --- In extremeprogramming@yahoogroups.com, "Kay" <tranzpupy@...> wrote:
            >>>
            >>> Are you saying that Scott wrote this article because of you?
            >>>
            >>> Kay P

          • George Paci
            Message 5 of 13 , Nov 5, 2010
              On 11/3/10 at 9:03 AM, Scott Ambler wrote:
              > Well, it said the "ecosystem" must evolve to support both - it's about the surrounding organization as opposed to the agile team itself.
              I have a raised front lawn, with a waist-high brick wall in the front.
              I planted some phlox there several years ago. It grew onto the top of
              the wall, and trapped leaves and other plant litter in its spiky leaves,
              some of which also died and added to the detritus. After a few years,
              there was a thin layer of what was undeniably soil atop the wall, which
              the phlox proceeded to take root in, as part of its apparently
              inexorable advance.

              Analogies, whatever their other faults, are a good way of generating
              questions and ideas which can then be tested out:

              What's left over after a project that's useful in future projects? Is
              there any way to make that more agile, or more likely to promote the
              spread of agile principles in the enterprise?

              What's the most hostile part of the business to agile (the wall)? Is
              there a (possibly long, slow) road to converting it, replacing it, or
              covering it up (adapting an interface to it)? Can a policy or standard
              practice be changed by simply winning a long, consistent series of
              "temporary" exceptions to it?

              The wall actually helps the phlox by retaining heat; is there an
              analogous way some non-agile part of the business can help the agile
              part, even help it spread (e.g. a non-agile training department offering
              agile courses)?

              (This is all asked, of course, from the comfort of a small agile team on
              a vital project, which I suppose corresponds to those bulbs I just planted.)

              --George gpaci at tiac dot net

              Think back: were the kids who were always saying
              "That's stupid" the *smart* ones?
            • JeffGrigg
              Message 6 of 13 , Nov 5, 2010
                --- George Paci <gpaci@...> wrote:
                > What's left over after a project that's useful in future projects?

                Answer: A highly productive jelled team.

                ;->

                > Think back: were the kids who were always saying
                > "That's stupid" the *smart* ones?

                We're good at recognizing our failures in others. ;->
              • George Paci
                Message 7 of 13 , Nov 6, 2010
                  On 11/5/10 at 7:49 PM, JeffGrigg wrote:
                  > --- George Paci <gpaci@...> wrote:
                  >> What's left over after a project that's useful in future projects?
                  >
                  > Answer: A highly productive jelled team.
                  >
                  > ;->

                  I agree, but I completely fail to see why you used a smiley. The entire
                  reason I applied for my current job was that I was sure it was a highly-
                  productive jelled team.* Yet there are plenty of organizations that give
                  essentially no weight to the value of a jelled team, and in fact seem
                  blind to teams at all: they just shuffle individual developers around
                  between projects with no notion that they actually *interact* with each
                  other beyond exchanging sports banter at the water cooler.

                  Anyway, since I was dealing with bulbs again today: how do you build on
                  that team? Will it come up again next year (i.e. deliver as well on the
                  next project)? Can you grow it? At what point do you divide it? How
                  likely are the divided bulbs to come up the next year? What do you put
                  in the hole with it? (In my case, I have to put some sand down there
                  for drainage, in addition to compost and bulb fertilizer and whatever
                  everyone else needs.) When can you get rid of the dying leaves without
                  shortchanging the needs of the bulb for the next project?

                  Moving on to (more) off-topic stuff:
                  >> Think back: were the kids who were always saying
                  >> "That's stupid" the *smart* ones?
                  >
                  > We're good at recognizing our failures in others. ;->

                  I agree (see "Projection" at a convenient online encyclopedia near you), but
                  I don't see the connection to my signature. Are you saying I should ponder
                  what I consider stupid? Or what I considered stupid in high school?
                  (In high-school me's defense, I *thought* history and biology and economics
                  were stupid, but never actually *said* so.) I try to take criticism as
                  constructive, whenever humanly possible. Or anyway I try to try. Or
                  hope I try.

                  --George

                  (* In addition to being sure, I also turned out to be right.)

                  I wish the architect and management had spent more effort building a
                  product that a million people wanted to use, and less effort building
                  a product that could be used by a million people. --Kevin B. Smith
                • JeffGrigg
                  Message 8 of 13 , Nov 7, 2010

                    --- George Paci <gpaci@...> wrote:
                    > I agree, but I completely fail to see why you used a smiley.

                    Yes, perhaps a crying smiley would have been more appropriate:
                    My thought was...
                    "And the first thing most companies disband as a project
                    comes to a close ...is the highly-productive jelled team.
                    ...which is often recognized as the most valuable thing
                    that the team produced."

                    So I smile with a strong sense of irony.

                    > The entire reason I applied for my current job was that
                    > I was sure it was a highly-productive jelled team.* Yet
                    > there are plenty of organizations that give essentially
                    > no weight to the value of a jelled team, and in fact seem
                    > blind to teams at all: they just shuffle individual
                    > developers around between projects with no notion that
                    > they actually *interact* with each other beyond exchanging
                    > sports banter at the water cooler.

                    Seems like we're in violent agreement.

                    > how do you build on that team? Can you grow it?

                    Yep. I'd hope for an employer who not only has a good team, but who shows signs that they can grow more good teams too.

                    > Moving on to (more) off-topic stuff:
                    >>> Think back: were the kids who were always saying
                    >>> "That's stupid" the *smart* ones?

                    >> We're good at recognizing our failures in others. ;->

                    Agreement again: I'm saying that the kids saying "that's stupid" are probably good at recognizing that in others (but not themselves).

                    (If I'm out to get you, you'll know it. At work I've fired several people in my career. And in every case they knew weeks in advance that I was going to do them in, and what they had to do to change their behavior so that I wouldn't. And in those cases where they did not change their behavior, they were given an opportunity to grace our competitors with their fine skills. ;-> And in all cases I heard about later, the change turned out to be good for them.)