Re: [XP] What helps you get into flow when pairing?

  • Kay
    Message 1 of 26 , Sep 24, 2010
      Hi, Adrian,

      Since I'm not pairing <sob> and not doing tdd <sob, sob> (working in ASP.NET in a web app that's all gridview and databases) I type "start here" if I'm feeling overwhelmed when I stop for the day.

      Soon as I load the program in the morning it tells me where to start.

      Go ahead, tell me at one time you didn't do this...<grin>

      Kay P

      --- In extremeprogramming@yahoogroups.com, Adrian Howard <adrianh@...> wrote:

      > On 23 Sep 2010, at 21:45, Dale Emery wrote:
      >
      > > Hi all,
      > >
      > > What helps you get into flow when pairing? What helps you regain flow when
      > > you've lost it?
      > [snip]
      >
      > Fixing failing test is always something that I've found helps get things going.
      >
      > At one point I tried to leave a failing test at the end of the day. That got to be too much mental effort so now what I do if I have trouble starting is just back-out of the last commit and get the failing test that way.
      >
      > (An interesting thing I notice with doing it that was is that I sometimes find at that point the old-solution that was backed out could be improved on - since it was done at the end of the day :-)
      >
      > Another way I get started is having a conversation about a story card with the Customer. Going from the high-level description to something small enough to get built is enough to get things running.
      >
      > Cheers,
      >
      > Adrian
      > --
      > http://quietstars.com adrianh@... twitter.com/adrianh
      > t. +44 (0)7752 419080 skype adrianjohnhoward del.icio.us/adrianh

    • Adrian Howard
      Message 2 of 26 , Sep 26, 2010
        Hi Dale,

        On 25 Sep 2010, at 21:13, Dale Emery wrote:
        [snip]
        >> Another way I get started is having a conversation about a story card with
        >> the Customer. Going from the high-level description to something small
        >> enough to get built is enough to get things running.
        >
        > Talking with a Customer also puts you in touch with the value of the thing
        > you're about to do. I wonder if that might affect flow.

        I think you've just expressed more clearly what was was actually thinking :-) It's getting that knowing where we're going and why feeling.

        Ta,

        Adrian
      • Adrian Howard
        Message 3 of 26 , Oct 2, 2010
          On 24 Sep 2010, at 21:48, Kay wrote:

          > Hi, Adrian,
          >
          > Since I'm not pairing <sob> and not doing tdd <sob, sob> (working in ASP.NET in a web app that's all gridview and databases) I type "start here" if I'm feeling overwhelmed when I stop for the day.
          >
          > Soon as I load the program in the morning it tells me where to start.
          >
          > Go ahead, tell me at one time you didn't do this...<grin>

          I ran a Perl program a couple of days ago that I left in the middle of development to find that I'd left:

          die "fix the infinite loop"

          in the middle of it :-)

          Adrian