[XP] Re: Is Kanban Agile? And shock vs slow change.

  • JeffGrigg
    Message 1 of 232 , Sep 24, 2010
      --- John Goodsen <jgoodsen@...> wrote:
      > (BTW, keep in mind that Jeff Sutherland himself shows data
      > that somewhere around 25% or less of teams saying they do
      > Scrum are actually doing Scrum)... what are the other 75%
      > doing? probably dealing with the disruption that they
      > created in their own company!?

      No, in my experience, the other 75% are not doing much. And not getting much benefit. They're happy that they can say "we're doing scrum." They do daily meetings. But they pretty much just muddle through as they've always done.

      I wish to cause change. I intend to push change as hard and as fast as they can take it. I don't intend to be there a very long time. So I don't have a lot of time to wait.
    • paul
      Message 232 of 232 , Oct 14, 2010
        --- In extremeprogramming@yahoogroups.com, Steven Gordon <sgordonphd@...> wrote:

        > It is not like scope and time constraints at such enterprises are really
        > being met now (if so, I say they should not be adopting agile because their
        > current methods are working). So maybe the constraints are invalid.

        Sorry thats a bit of a circular argument - the fact (probability ?) that methods don't deliver actually gives an opportunity for agile to demonstrate superiority.

        > Furthermore, the scope of such projects can be decomposed into smaller
        > projects. Then the coordinating effort becomes one of coordinating
        > projects, not individual developers working on the same large, unwieldy
        > project.

        Indeed, but its coordinating projects where agile is currently weak compared to coordinating individuals. Multiple projects/teams is still better under agile than one massive one - its just that we are still feeling way somewhere when applying agile at this scale.

        Paul.