Re: [XP] Does a focus on unit tests lead to violating YAGNI?

  • Me
    Message 1 of 83 , Sep 27, 2010
      On Mon, Sep 27, 2010 at 06:33, JeffGrigg <jeffreytoddgrigg@...> wrote:

      > On the other hand, I could assume that all the other team members are doing
      > TDD, and if one of them needs an 'isEmpty()' method to make their
      > application functionality work, they'll just add it.

      The one exception can think of is when this assumption is false. There are
      times when this isn't true. For example, when creating a product that can
      be extended by developers outside your team, the developer/users of the code
      may not be able to "reach in" to your code and add features as needed.

      In these cases, you can avoid considering these features as YAGNI waste by
      considering those after-release developers to be "customers" of the code
      you're writing, on a different level from customers of the product you're
      developing. Then you have a user story like "I can check to see if a stack
      is empty", which leads you to develop the feature with a clean conscience.

      Although I don't typically adhere to the "As a <role>, I want <story> so I
      can <goal>" story pattern, this case--when the customers are as distinct as
      "product user" and "after-release external developer"--is one where it makes
      sense, so that you can keep the needs of multiple distinct customers in
      mind.

      --
      Tim Lesher <tlesher@...>

    • George Dinwiddie
      Message 83 of 83 , Nov 5, 2010
        Stan,

        On 11/4/10 8:17 PM, Stan wrote:
        > * I want to make a personal paradigm shift to full TDD, as in the
        > bowling example you pointed out.

        Kay gave you some good book recommendations. If you prefer screencasts
        to books, you might check out http://jamesshore.com/Blog/Lets-Play/

        - George

        --
        Nov 15-16 Agile Testing Workshop in Orlando
        http://www.sqe.com/AgileDevPracticesEast/Workshop/