Re: [XP] Habits

  • John Goodsen
    Message 1 of 5 , Oct 1, 2010
      On Fri, Oct 1, 2010 at 5:22 PM, Charlie Poole
      <charlie@...> wrote:
      > Not being to afraid to delete code that isn't working.

      + checking in code often so you have the courage to delete code that
      isn't working.

      > On Fri, Oct 1, 2010 at 2:16 PM, Curtis Cooley <curtis.cooley@...> wrote:
      >> I seem to recall a Kent Beck or Ward Cunningham quote that went
      >> something like "I'm not a great programmer, I'm a good programmer with
      >> great habits." Assuming I haven't completely misrepresented or
      >> mis-attributed the quote, what are the "great habits" of an XP
      >> programmer?
      >>
      >> Habits I'm trying to form:
      >>  * Always having a failing test to write code to - doing pretty well
      >> on this one :)
      >>  * Remembering to do the Refactor step in Red-Green-Refactor - getting there
      >>  * "Don't check in crap" - see above I guess
      >>  * "Consider the context" - still figuring this one out, thanks Andy ;)
      >>
      >> I guess the list could go on n on which would make forming all those
      >> habits a daunting task indeed. So what's your most important habit?
      >>
      >> --
      >> Curtis Cooley
      >> curtis.cooley@...
      >> home:http://curtiscooley.com
      >> blog:http://ponderingobjectorienteddesign.blogspot.com
      >> ===============
      >> Leadership is a potent combination of strategy and character. But if
      >> you must be without one, be without the strategy.
      >> -- H. Norman Schwarzkopf

      John Goodsen                 RADSoft / Better Software Faster
      jgoodsen@...            Lean/Kanban/XP/Scrum Coaching and Training
      http://www.radsoft.com          Enterprise Ruby, Java and Scala Solutions
    • Charlie Poole
      Message 2 of 5 , Oct 1, 2010
        I stand by my habit as stated. :-) We should have the courage to delete
        the code we spent the last 10 minutes writing that isn't working, even when
        it isn't anywhere except in our heads. We should trust that what we are
        now 10 minutes smarter and that we'll do it better next time.

        Charlie

        On Fri, Oct 1, 2010 at 4:27 PM, John Goodsen <jgoodsen@...> wrote:
        > On Fri, Oct 1, 2010 at 5:22 PM, Charlie Poole
        > <charlie@...> wrote:
        >> Not being to afraid to delete code that isn't working.
        >>

        > + checking in code often so you have the courage to delete code that
        > isn't working.
        >
        >> On Fri, Oct 1, 2010 at 2:16 PM, Curtis Cooley <curtis.cooley@...> wrote:
        >>> I seem to recall a Kent Beck or Ward Cunningham quote that went
        >>> something like "I'm not a great programmer, I'm a good programmer with
        >>> great habits." Assuming I haven't completely misrepresented or
        >>> mis-attributed the quote, what are the "great habits" of an XP
        >>> programmer?
        >>>
        >>> Habits I'm trying to form:
        >>>  * Always having a failing test to write code to - doing pretty well
        >>> on this one :)
        >>>  * Remembering to do the Refactor step in Red-Green-Refactor - getting there
        >>>  * "Don't check in crap" - see above I guess
        >>>  * "Consider the context" - still figuring this one out, thanks Andy ;)
        >>>
        >>> I guess the list could go on n on which would make forming all those
        >>> habits a daunting task indeed. So what's your most important habit?
        >>>
        >>> --
        >>> Curtis Cooley
        >>> curtis.cooley@...
        >>> home:http://curtiscooley.com
        >>> blog:http://ponderingobjectorienteddesign.blogspot.com
        >>> ===============
        >>> Leadership is a potent combination of strategy and character. But if
        >>> you must be without one, be without the strategy.
        >>> -- H. Norman Schwarzkopf

        > John Goodsen                 RADSoft / Better Software Faster
        > jgoodsen@...            Lean/Kanban/XP/Scrum Coaching and Training
        > http://www.radsoft.com          Enterprise Ruby, Java and Scala Solutions

      • George Dinwiddie
        Message 3 of 5 , Oct 1, 2010
          Charlie,

          I'll go a little further than that. The longer we've been working on
          code without checking it in, the more willing we should be to delete it.

          Curtis, a habit I try to cultivate is to work in tinier steps.

          - George