Re: Software Craftsmanship

  • scott preece
    Message 1 of 370 , Sep 8, 2010
      --- In extremeprogramming@yahoogroups.com, "JeffGrigg" <jeffreytoddgrigg@...> wrote:

      > --- "scott preece" <sepreece@> wrote:
      > > It's at least possible that an enterprise with a good
      > > mentor program could do better than the individual at
      > > finding the right mentor.
      >
      > I imagine that some formal mentoring programs are quite successful and helpful. However, I've yet to see one that achieves much more than bureaucratic busywork and paper shuffling. One that I saw recently was described by most people I asked as "worse than useless." But I imagine that in some cases they may actually be helpful.
      >
      > I think that when we do pair programming routinely, then a formal mentoring program would seem redundant: Team members would routinely be mentored by other team members, often regardless of who's the senior or junior.

      I think of mentoring as wholly different from pairing - it's about long-term development guidance and having someone to consult on decisions that are usually outside the scope of the team. A pair *might* be a good mentor, but I don't think that's a given.

      A really good mentoring relationship is about the individual, whose best interests may not be the same as the company's. An company's internal mentoring program may be useful in helping a new employee find her way through the company's career ladders and culture, but it's good to have an external, personal mentor with whom you can explore career decisions.

      However, there is a real conundrum around the point I tried to make: the people who need a mentor most, because they are new and clueless, are the least likely to know who would be a good mentor for them.

      scott
    • Bill Caputo
      Message 370 of 370 , Sep 8, 2010
        On Wed, Sep 8, 2010 at 9:20 PM, Ron Jeffries <ronjeffries@...> wrote:
        > Seems not reading this topic might suffice ... but to each his own
        > ... I guess.

        The problem is that it isn't just one topic - its at least 2 or 3 and
        as near as I can tell constitutes the entire traffic of the list right
        now. Also, I can't not read things, it's a medical condition or
        something...

        > I know Marvin and I am confident that he's trying to do as right a
        > thing as he can.

        I agree with that. The again, the road to hell and all that...

        > I freely grant that I cannot figure out why what we
        > are saying seems to elude him.

        I don't know either. We could ask him, I suppose. But I expect it'll
        just start the whole thing all over again.

        > I suppose we could stop trying, but
        > that seems wrong to me.

        To each his own... I guess ;->

        > I'd say that if the thread ticks you, or
        > anyone, off ... start new ones, respond to other ones, pitch in in
        > other ways.

        Well, as I said, no other threads seem to be going on right now. If I
        can think of something constructive to say, I'll start a new one.
        However, I apologize to the list for venting publicly (and so adding
        to the noise). I'll stick to signal or silence for a while.

        Best,
        Bill