Re: [XP] What does The Agile Alliance *DO*?

  • Charlie Poole
    Message 1 of 370 , Sep 3, 2010
      The conference - which some would consider enough of a reason for the
      AA to exist - takes
      in money, which is spent on encouraging other activities. For example,
      the XP20xx conferences
      have used software developed by the AA to manage workshop submittals,
      etc. and the
      Agile Open Northwest event has received funding from the alliance.

      This is of course a simplistic view, but it's a main part of their
      function in the agile ecology.

      I've previously referred to the "Agile Establishment" - a phrase that
      has at least a tinge
      of criticism to some ears. I hear it too, but don't mean it in a
      negative way. Somebody
      has to represent the "state of the art" while others try to go beyond
      that state. I know
      of no area of endeavor where the same entity is able to fulfill both
      roles. That said,
      the Agile Alliance, through its programs is able to encourage and
      support those who
      are trying to advance the art - as does the conference itself.

      Charlie

      On Fri, Sep 3, 2010 at 5:53 AM, JeffGrigg <jeffreytoddgrigg@...> wrote:
      > --- Tim Ottinger <linux_tim@...> wrote:
      >> [...] To the extent anyone listens to the Agile Alliance
      >> at all, it is purely out of respect for its members, not
      >> because of any kind of official authority.
      >
      > [Hmmm...  So that has me thinking...]
      >
      > So what does The Agile Alliance *DO*?
      >
      > I haven't really been paying much attention to them.  I assume that they're up to /something/ potentially useful.
      >
      > OK, so they organize a conference once a year.  Darn; I missed it again.  Some day I really ought to go to it.  It's probably pretty good.
      >
      > And I see that they're a clearinghouse for agile related events.
      >
      > Looks like they've tried to host agile discussion forums -- without much success, from what I see.

    • Bill Caputo
      Message 370 of 370 , Sep 8, 2010
        On Wed, Sep 8, 2010 at 9:20 PM, Ron Jeffries <ronjeffries@...> wrote:
        > Seems not reading this topic might suffice ... but to each his own
        > ... I guess.

        The problem is that it isn't just one topic - its at least 2 or 3 and
        as near as I can tell constitutes the entire traffic of the list right
        now. Also, I can't not read things, it's a medical condition or
        something...

        > I know Marvin and I am confident that he's trying to do as right a
        > thing as he can.

        I agree with that. The again, the road to hell and all that...

        > I freely grant that I cannot figure out why what we
        > are saying seems to elude him.

        I don't know either. We could ask him, I suppose. But I expect it'll
        just start the whole thing all over again.

        > I suppose we could stop trying, but
        > that seems wrong to me.

        To each his own... I guess ;->

        > I'd say that if the thread ticks you, or
        > anyone, off ... start new ones, respond to other ones, pitch in in
        > other ways.

        Well, as I said, no other threads seem to be going on right now. If I
        can think of something constructive to say, I'll start a new one.
        However, I apologize to the list for venting publicly (and so adding
        to the noise). I'll stick to signal or silence for a while.

        Best,
        Bill