[XP] Re: Software Craftsmanship

  • MarvinToll.com
    Message 1 of 370 , Sep 2, 2010
      Sounds like you might agree that the 'Agile Alliance' has a responsibility to help the community "anticipate" change; not function merely as a repository for yesteryears best practices???

      --- In extremeprogramming@yahoogroups.com, Laurent Bossavit <laurent@...> wrote:

      > > hmmm... Is their a difference between 'adapting' to change and
      > > 'responding' to change?
      > >

      > I could quote verbatim an old blog post of mine on that topic... You
      > know what, I *will* quote it in full and verbatim:
      >
      > ***
      > To react is less effective than to respond. To respond is less
      > effective than to anticipate.
      >
      > Often a crisis comes and it becomes obvious that none of the available
      > immediate responses will be a solution. "The solution to this problem
      > is X, but we needed to start doing it six months ago (or twenty years,
      > or whatever)."
      >
      > Next observation: "We can start doing X now, but we'll have to suffer
      > the problem for six more months (or twenty years)." That's when you're
      > lucky. When you're unlucky, the observation is more along the lines
      > of, "We can start doing X now, but it won't do us any good because
      > we'll be dead well before it starts to be effective."
      >
      > We could start providing jobs and better housing to the least
      > advantaged among us, but the cars are already burning. I could start
      > broadening my skills to play the job market better, but my position is
      > being moved offshore next month. We could start testing and investing
      > in code quality, but the customer is already soured on the project.
      >
      > How do we act on problems early, before they become crises ? A nifty
      > phrase I've heard recently is "weak signals". Devote some attention to
      > spotting weak signals and amplifying them. Of course, noise will make
      > this a delicate task. The payoff is early intervention - think of
      > smoke detectors.
      >
      > A good way to spot weak signals is to embed your objectives in a
      > system of values. Then weak signals will manifest as feelings that
      > something is slightly, vaguely wrong.
      >
      > If you value social justice, you will be bothered by "small" problems
      > of discrimination or rising unemployment, even if (temporarily) these
      > look like a small price to pay for economic prosperity. If you value
      > quality, even relatively harmless bugs will leave you with an uneasy,
      > niggling feeling. If you value learning for its own sake, you will
      > move on to new skills any time you feel insufficiently challenged, etc.
      >

      > Laurent Bossavit
      > laurent@...

    • Bill Caputo
      Message 370 of 370 , Sep 8, 2010
        On Wed, Sep 8, 2010 at 9:20 PM, Ron Jeffries <ronjeffries@...> wrote:
        > Seems not reading this topic might suffice ... but to each his own
        > ... I guess.

        The problem is that it isn't just one topic - its at least 2 or 3 and
        as near as I can tell constitutes the entire traffic of the list right
        now. Also, I can't not read things, it's a medical condition or
        something...

        > I know Marvin and I am confident that he's trying to do as right a
        > thing as he can.

        I agree with that. The again, the road to hell and all that...

        > I freely grant that I cannot figure out why what we
        > are saying seems to elude him.

        I don't know either. We could ask him, I suppose. But I expect it'll
        just start the whole thing all over again.

        > I suppose we could stop trying, but
        > that seems wrong to me.

        To each his own... I guess ;->

        > I'd say that if the thread ticks you, or
        > anyone, off ... start new ones, respond to other ones, pitch in in
        > other ways.

        Well, as I said, no other threads seem to be going on right now. If I
        can think of something constructive to say, I'll start a new one.
        However, I apologize to the list for venting publicly (and so adding
        to the noise). I'll stick to signal or silence for a while.

        Best,
        Bill