Re: Communicating the Costs of High Turnover in Large Enterprises

  • Tom
    Message 1 of 370 , Sep 2, 2010
      There seems to be an assumption in this conversation that the communications in an SLE have to conform to a star network with a single hub and all the development teams at the edges.

      That may be the way it is in many SLEs, but a more productive way to
      look at it as a general network, in which each team is related to a small set of other teams as either a customer or a supplier (ala Eric Evans' discussion of team relationships in "Domain Driven Design").

      This shifts the focus away from a global architecture to specific interfaces and contracts. Sure, there will be systems and network groups that provide services to most or all of the teams, but the contracts could still be very specific in terms of interfaces and service level agreements. This is the way we organize heterogeneous networks, federated databases, web services, etc.

      In fact, now that I think of it, it's the same sort of structural issue we get into when we're considering using frameworks (as opposed to libraries) to develop applications - I seem to remember Ron having some things to say about that....
    • Bill Caputo
      Message 370 of 370 , Sep 8, 2010
        On Wed, Sep 8, 2010 at 9:20 PM, Ron Jeffries <ronjeffries@...> wrote:
        > Seems not reading this topic might suffice ... but to each his own
        > ... I guess.

        The problem is that it isn't just one topic - its at least 2 or 3 and
        as near as I can tell constitutes the entire traffic of the list right
        now. Also, I can't not read things, it's a medical condition or
        something...

        > I know Marvin and I am confident that he's trying to do as right a
        > thing as he can.

        I agree with that. The again, the road to hell and all that...

        > I freely grant that I cannot figure out why what we
        > are saying seems to elude him.

        I don't know either. We could ask him, I suppose. But I expect it'll
        just start the whole thing all over again.

        > I suppose we could stop trying, but
        > that seems wrong to me.

        To each his own... I guess ;->

        > I'd say that if the thread ticks you, or
        > anyone, off ... start new ones, respond to other ones, pitch in in
        > other ways.

        Well, as I said, no other threads seem to be going on right now. If I
        can think of something constructive to say, I'll start a new one.
        However, I apologize to the list for venting publicly (and so adding
        to the noise). I'll stick to signal or silence for a while.

        Best,
        Bill