Re: [XP] Re: Software Craftsmanship

  • Laurent Bossavit
    Message 1 of 370 , Sep 2, 2010
      > hmmm... Is their a difference between 'adapting' to change and
      > 'responding' to change?

      I could quote verbatim an old blog post of mine on that topic... You
      know what, I *will* quote it in full and verbatim:

      ***
      To react is less effective than to respond. To respond is less
      effective than to anticipate.

      Often a crisis comes and it becomes obvious that none of the available
      immediate responses will be a solution. "The solution to this problem
      is X, but we needed to start doing it six months ago (or twenty years,
      or whatever)."

      Next observation: "We can start doing X now, but we'll have to suffer
      the problem for six more months (or twenty years)." That's when you're
      lucky. When you're unlucky, the observation is more along the lines
      of, "We can start doing X now, but it won't do us any good because
      we'll be dead well before it starts to be effective."

      We could start providing jobs and better housing to the least
      advantaged among us, but the cars are already burning. I could start
      broadening my skills to play the job market better, but my position is
      being moved offshore next month. We could start testing and investing
      in code quality, but the customer is already soured on the project.

      How do we act on problems early, before they become crises ? A nifty
      phrase I've heard recently is "weak signals". Devote some attention to
      spotting weak signals and amplifying them. Of course, noise will make
      this a delicate task. The payoff is early intervention - think of
      smoke detectors.

      A good way to spot weak signals is to embed your objectives in a
      system of values. Then weak signals will manifest as feelings that
      something is slightly, vaguely wrong.

      If you value social justice, you will be bothered by "small" problems
      of discrimination or rising unemployment, even if (temporarily) these
      look like a small price to pay for economic prosperity. If you value
      quality, even relatively harmless bugs will leave you with an uneasy,
      niggling feeling. If you value learning for its own sake, you will
      move on to new skills any time you feel insufficiently challenged, etc.

      Laurent Bossavit
      laurent@...
    • Bill Caputo
      Message 370 of 370 , Sep 8, 2010
        On Wed, Sep 8, 2010 at 9:20 PM, Ron Jeffries <ronjeffries@...> wrote:
        > Seems not reading this topic might suffice ... but to each his own
        > ... I guess.

        The problem is that it isn't just one topic - its at least 2 or 3 and
        as near as I can tell constitutes the entire traffic of the list right
        now. Also, I can't not read things, it's a medical condition or
        something...

        > I know Marvin and I am confident that he's trying to do as right a
        > thing as he can.

        I agree with that. The again, the road to hell and all that...

        > I freely grant that I cannot figure out why what we
        > are saying seems to elude him.

        I don't know either. We could ask him, I suppose. But I expect it'll
        just start the whole thing all over again.

        > I suppose we could stop trying, but
        > that seems wrong to me.

        To each his own... I guess ;->

        > I'd say that if the thread ticks you, or
        > anyone, off ... start new ones, respond to other ones, pitch in in
        > other ways.

        Well, as I said, no other threads seem to be going on right now. If I
        can think of something constructive to say, I'll start a new one.
        However, I apologize to the list for venting publicly (and so adding
        to the noise). I'll stick to signal or silence for a while.

        Best,
        Bill