Re: [XP] OT: Windows servers (was: user stories for different operating systems)

  • Adam Sroka
    Message 1 of 4 , Aug 5, 2010
      On Thu, Aug 5, 2010 at 10:03 AM, Ron Jeffries <ronjeffries@...> wrote:

      > Hello, Bill. On Thursday, August 5, 2010, at 1:34:00 AM, you
      > wrote:
      >
      > > Ouch, good point - and my only excuse is muscle memory. I've been MS
      > > free (desktop, server and laptop) for about a year now. My only real
      > > fear is having to go back.
      >
      > I know I'm a wussy for using Windows and IDEs. I might be OK with it

      I have a Mac, and I also have a PC that dual boots as Gentoo Linux and
      Windows 7. I find that I prefer using Windows 7 for most of my
      programming (Mac is nice for other things, and they're all fine for
      web browsing.)

      I can't really quantify why that is. Really, the differences are
      largely superficial other than a few things: Visual Studio sucks on
      the Mac. You need Parallels to run it, and it eats memory like
      nobody's business. Java IDEs work everywhere. Emacs is available
      everywhere, though some ports of emacs suck worse than others. XCode
      obviously only works on the Mac, but I don't actually like it. The
      only reason I would use it nowadays is if a client was using it and
      needed technical advice/training.

      As for servers, Windows and Mac both kind of suck as servers. I would
      rather use some virtualized Linux, with a strong preference for
      Gentoo. I have a Gentoo VM on all of my machines, and I have a hosted
      one I use for certain experiments. Gentoo is not for everyone, but I
      like to tinker, and Gentoo is the Lego of OSes.