OT: Windows servers (was: user stories for different operating systems)

  • Bill Caputo
    Message 1 of 4 , Aug 4, 2010
      On Wed, Aug 4, 2010 at 11:17 PM, Phlip <phlip2005@...> wrote:
      >> If that's "The user of my system can install product on Windows and/or
      >> Linux" yes. If that's "We need to remember to install our stuff on the
      >> windows server as part of deployment" no as that's a technical  task,
      >> and I am in the "don't write down internal (to team) memos as
      >> externally visible story cards" camp these days.
      >
      > I'm in the "I would never even imagine using Windows for a server!" camp
      > these days...

      Ouch, good point - and my only excuse is muscle memory. I've been MS
      free (desktop, server and laptop) for about a year now. My only real
      fear is having to go back.

      Bill
      Message 2 of 4 , Aug 5, 2010
        Hello, Bill. On Thursday, August 5, 2010, at 1:34:00 AM, you
        wrote:

        > Ouch, good point - and my only excuse is muscle memory. I've been MS
        > free (desktop, server and laptop) for about a year now. My only real
        > fear is having to go back.

        I know I'm a wussy for using Windows and IDEs. I might be OK with it

        www.xprogramming.com/blog
        If you don't push something beyond its boundary of usefulness
        how do you find where that boundary is? -- Martin Fowler
      • Bill Caputo
        Message 3 of 4 , Aug 5, 2010
          On Thu, Aug 5, 2010 at 12:03 PM, Ron Jeffries <ronjeffries@...> wrote:
          > Hello, Bill.  On Thursday, August 5, 2010, at 1:34:00 AM, you
          > wrote:
          >
          >> Ouch, good point - and my only excuse is muscle memory. I've been MS
          >> free (desktop, server and laptop) for about a year now. My only real
          >> fear is having to go back.
          >
          > I know I'm a wussy for using Windows and IDEs. I might be OK with it

          I'm not in the "real <x> don't use <y>" camp - I switched because my
          project needs said to: (Ruby needs satisfied better in Linux and Mac
          than on Windows). That said, I love using both and when I have to do
          something in Windows, it always feels really clunky. YMMV.

          Bill
        • Adam Sroka
          Message 4 of 4 , Aug 5, 2010
            On Thu, Aug 5, 2010 at 10:03 AM, Ron Jeffries <ronjeffries@...> wrote:

            > Hello, Bill. On Thursday, August 5, 2010, at 1:34:00 AM, you
            > wrote:
            >
            > > Ouch, good point - and my only excuse is muscle memory. I've been MS
            > > free (desktop, server and laptop) for about a year now. My only real
            > > fear is having to go back.
            >
            > I know I'm a wussy for using Windows and IDEs. I might be OK with it

            I have a Mac, and I also have a PC that dual boots as Gentoo Linux and
            Windows 7. I find that I prefer using Windows 7 for most of my
            programming (Mac is nice for other things, and they're all fine for
            web browsing.)

            I can't really quantify why that is. Really, the differences are
            largely superficial other than a few things: Visual Studio sucks on
            the Mac. You need Parallels to run it, and it eats memory like
            nobody's business. Java IDEs work everywhere. Emacs is available
            everywhere, though some ports of emacs suck worse than others. XCode
            obviously only works on the Mac, but I don't actually like it. The
            only reason I would use it nowadays is if a client was using it and
            needed technical advice/training.

            As for servers, Windows and Mac both kind of suck as servers. I would
            rather use some virtualized Linux, with a strong preference for
            Gentoo. I have a Gentoo VM on all of my machines, and I have a hosted
            one I use for certain experiments. Gentoo is not for everyone, but I
            like to tinker, and Gentoo is the Lego of OSes.