Re: user stories for different operating systems

  • Phlip
    Message 1 of 6 , Aug 4, 2010
      xtremenilanjan wrote:

      > Does it make sense or not to create user stories for tasks to be performed
      > on different operating systems.
      >
      > e.g., Install on Windows, Install on Linux

      Of course. A "User Story" is a thing your Onsite Customer asks for. If they
      target those markets, they ask for those installers.

      Don't forget to TDD them. _And_ to make sure your test server(s) pass on
      both those platforms, each time you integrate!

      --
      Phlip
    • Bill Caputo
      Message 2 of 6 , Aug 4, 2010
        On Wed, Aug 4, 2010 at 7:47 PM, xtremenilanjan <xtremenilanjan@...> wrote:
        > Does it make sense or not to create user stories for tasks to be performed on different operating systems.
        >
        > e.g., Install on Windows, Install on Linux

        If that's "The user of my system can install product on Windows and/or
        Linux" yes. If that's "We need to remember to install our stuff on the
        windows server as part of deployment" no as that's a technical task,
        and I am in the "don't write down internal (to team) memos as
        externally visible story cards" camp these days.

        Bill
      • Phlip
        Message 3 of 6 , Aug 4, 2010
          > If that's "The user of my system can install product on Windows and/or
          > Linux" yes. If that's "We need to remember to install our stuff on the
          > windows server as part of deployment" no as that's a technical task,
          > and I am in the "don't write down internal (to team) memos as
          > externally visible story cards" camp these days.

          I'm in the "I would never even imagine using Windows for a server!" camp
          these days...
        • xtremenilanjan
          Message 4 of 6 , Aug 5, 2010
            It is "the user of my system needs to install on windows"

            Can I just leave the OS out of the user story ? Maybe not for install.

            What about for other stories? Do I need to call out the OS?

            I am wondering if there are many OS, databases, can I note it down along with the story?

            Can I create tasks within a single user story for each of these instead of multiple stories?

            Thanks for your response.

            - Nilanjan

            --- In extremeprogramming@yahoogroups.com, Bill Caputo <list-subscriber@...> wrote:

            > On Wed, Aug 4, 2010 at 7:47 PM, xtremenilanjan <xtremenilanjan@...> wrote:
            > > Does it make sense or not to create user stories for tasks to be performed on different operating systems.
            > >
            > > e.g., Install on Windows, Install on Linux
            >
            > If that's "The user of my system can install product on Windows and/or
            > Linux" yes. If that's "We need to remember to install our stuff on the
            > windows server as part of deployment" no as that's a technical task,
            > and I am in the "don't write down internal (to team) memos as
            > externally visible story cards" camp these days.
            >
            > Bill

          • Charlie Poole
            Message 5 of 6 , Aug 5, 2010
              It applies to different subsets of users for each OS, so that leads me
              to think that
              it's a separate story. In addition, the specific user actions to
              install the software
              are likely to be different on each OS and - unless you use some sort of cross-
              platform install product - your own work is likely to be different.

              In most other cases, I would not split out stories by OS unless the
              implementation
              required it - that is if you need to do entirely different work to get
              it to work on
              each OS, then it's more convenient to have separate stories. IME, that's not
              usually the case.

              Stories need to it in an iteration, so when you have to split a big
              story, think about
              whether splitting by OS would make a difference. If it doesn't, then don't.

              Charlie