user stories for different operating systems

  • xtremenilanjan
    Message 1 of 6 , Aug 4, 2010
      Does it make sense or not to create user stories for tasks to be performed on different operating systems.

      e.g., Install on Windows, Install on Linux

      - Nilanjan
    • Phlip
      Message 2 of 6 , Aug 4, 2010
        xtremenilanjan wrote:

        > Does it make sense or not to create user stories for tasks to be performed
        > on different operating systems.
        >
        > e.g., Install on Windows, Install on Linux

        Of course. A "User Story" is a thing your Onsite Customer asks for. If they
        target those markets, they ask for those installers.

        Don't forget to TDD them. _And_ to make sure your test server(s) pass on
        both those platforms, each time you integrate!

        --
        Phlip
      • Bill Caputo
        Message 3 of 6 , Aug 4, 2010
          On Wed, Aug 4, 2010 at 7:47 PM, xtremenilanjan <xtremenilanjan@...> wrote:
          > Does it make sense or not to create user stories for tasks to be performed on different operating systems.
          >
          > e.g., Install on Windows, Install on Linux

          If that's "The user of my system can install product on Windows and/or
          Linux" yes. If that's "We need to remember to install our stuff on the
          windows server as part of deployment" no as that's a technical task,
          and I am in the "don't write down internal (to team) memos as
          externally visible story cards" camp these days.

          Bill
        • Phlip
          Message 4 of 6 , Aug 4, 2010
            > If that's "The user of my system can install product on Windows and/or
            > Linux" yes. If that's "We need to remember to install our stuff on the
            > windows server as part of deployment" no as that's a technical task,
            > and I am in the "don't write down internal (to team) memos as
            > externally visible story cards" camp these days.

            I'm in the "I would never even imagine using Windows for a server!" camp
            these days...
          • xtremenilanjan
            Message 5 of 6 , Aug 5, 2010
              It is "the user of my system needs to install on windows"

              Can I just leave the OS out of the user story ? Maybe not for install.

              What about for other stories? Do I need to call out the OS?

              I am wondering if there are many OS, databases, can I note it down along with the story?

              Can I create tasks within a single user story for each of these instead of multiple stories?

              Thanks for your response.

              - Nilanjan

              --- In extremeprogramming@yahoogroups.com, Bill Caputo <list-subscriber@...> wrote:

              > On Wed, Aug 4, 2010 at 7:47 PM, xtremenilanjan <xtremenilanjan@...> wrote:
              > > Does it make sense or not to create user stories for tasks to be performed on different operating systems.
              > >
              > > e.g., Install on Windows, Install on Linux
              >
              > If that's "The user of my system can install product on Windows and/or
              > Linux" yes. If that's "We need to remember to install our stuff on the
              > windows server as part of deployment" no as that's a technical task,
              > and I am in the "don't write down internal (to team) memos as
              > externally visible story cards" camp these days.
              >
              > Bill

            • Charlie Poole
              Message 6 of 6 , Aug 5, 2010
                It applies to different subsets of users for each OS, so that leads me
                to think that
                it's a separate story. In addition, the specific user actions to
                install the software
                are likely to be different on each OS and - unless you use some sort of cross-
                platform install product - your own work is likely to be different.

                In most other cases, I would not split out stories by OS unless the
                implementation
                required it - that is if you need to do entirely different work to get
                it to work on
                each OS, then it's more convenient to have separate stories. IME, that's not
                usually the case.

                Stories need to it in an iteration, so when you have to split a big
                story, think about
                whether splitting by OS would make a difference. If it doesn't, then don't.

                Charlie