Re: [XP] Here we go again

  • Steve Ropa
    Message 1 of 31 , Aug 3, 2010
      I was in a similar situation once. I said I would ask the team to put in whatever overtime was necessary, and I'd let the management team know if it ever did become necessary. The manager was PO'd because he clearly heard my message that there wouldn't be a time I felt it was necessary. I wasn't trying to be passive/aggressive there, I was just trying to show that the premature assumption that we would need overtime/death march was just that: premature. We did the usual XP work we had been doing, using the prioritized stories(actually some were re-prioritized to satisfy the promises made for the given date). We delivered what was completed as of the end of the iteration that was closest to the promised date, and it was a big success.

      My point is, if you already have the XP practices in place, all you have to do is show that you will be releasing on the fixed date that is closest to the promised date, and that the scope will be whatever fits into that set of iterations...

      Message 31 of 31 , Aug 5, 2010
        Hello, George. On Thursday, August 5, 2010, at 10:29:39 PM, you
        wrote:

        >> This could be done, I should think, by publishing velocity figures
        >> and story sizes.

        > I'm not convinced that publishing such numbers will do any good. I
        > think it still take a conversation (rather, frequent conversations) to
        > make such numbers understandable.

        Oh certainly

        www.xprogramming.com/blog
        Mentor/be mentored: the Agile Skills Project
        http://www.agileskillsproject.com/
        http://sites.google.com/site/agileskillsprojectwiki/