[XP] Re: Communicating from the Enterprise to Project Teams

  • JeffGrigg
    Message 1 of 370 , Aug 2, 2010

      --- "MarvinToll.com" <MarvinToll@...> wrote:
      > @Jeff... are you saying a team can not self-organize unless
      > they receive high pay (by Western standards), are collocated
      > and members are actively committed to refusing a 'better' gig?

      Not at all: Semco (in Brazil) has been very successful at what we in the U.S. would consider low pay. But they do stress the critical importance of communication; they fight distribution and see high value in collocation. And they enjoy the benefits of an amazingly low turnover rate.

      Semco's employees are not 'actively committed to refusing better jobs' as a promise to management or customers. They end up sticking around because it is a great place to work.
    • Bill Caputo
      Message 370 of 370 , Sep 8, 2010
        On Wed, Sep 8, 2010 at 9:20 PM, Ron Jeffries <ronjeffries@...> wrote:
        > Seems not reading this topic might suffice ... but to each his own
        > ... I guess.

        The problem is that it isn't just one topic - its at least 2 or 3 and
        as near as I can tell constitutes the entire traffic of the list right
        now. Also, I can't not read things, it's a medical condition or
        something...

        > I know Marvin and I am confident that he's trying to do as right a
        > thing as he can.

        I agree with that. The again, the road to hell and all that...

        > I freely grant that I cannot figure out why what we
        > are saying seems to elude him.

        I don't know either. We could ask him, I suppose. But I expect it'll
        just start the whole thing all over again.

        > I suppose we could stop trying, but
        > that seems wrong to me.

        To each his own... I guess ;->

        > I'd say that if the thread ticks you, or
        > anyone, off ... start new ones, respond to other ones, pitch in in
        > other ways.

        Well, as I said, no other threads seem to be going on right now. If I
        can think of something constructive to say, I'll start a new one.
        However, I apologize to the list for venting publicly (and so adding
        to the noise). I'll stick to signal or silence for a while.

        Best,
        Bill