Re: [XP] Providing Guidance from an Enterprise to Project Teams that Self-Select

  • Carlo Bottiglieri
    Message 1 of 370 , Aug 2, 2010
      On Mon, Aug 2, 2010 at 4:35 AM, MarvinToll.com <MarvinToll@...>wrote:

      > It would be wonderful if I could post working software implemented by some
      > of our distributed teams so that others could verify or disapprove of the
      > quality; unfortunately, I don't have permission.
      >
      > Hello Marvin,
      if you got a moment, would you have permission to provide the 10 highest
      McCabe complexity peaks from that software? Speaking, of course, of the
      McCabe index cumulated recursively through the whole method chain covering
      the whole system and stopping at third party libraries, not just the McCabe
      of isolated methods.
      It's a very partial (and sometimes misleading) metric, but that already
      would be interesting. Also, object cohesion would be interesting, but that
      would be unsatisfactory as a "top 10" selection, maybe provide an average
      per module?

      It's certainly not working software, but I would be very interested to see
      just these numbers already, as off-shore, high-turnover development
      providing high quality is certainly a curiousity. But if you are busy, no
      worry.

      Thanks in advance.

      Carlo

      > As a second best alternative I'll offer a couple options to those willing
      > to take a chance on the assertion by performing independent analysis:
      >
      > A) I have posted my speaking schedule which generally includes descriptions
      > of what has been accomplished in the past four-years to establish low-cost
      > sourcing as a viable Application Development alternative. (
      > http://gtcGroup.com/schedule.html )
      >
      > B) More to the point, if you are visiting Dearborn, MI - I will do my best
      > to schedule 'face-to-face' code reviews of working software (including
      > architecture/design). I'll also seek out folks that are not satisfied with
      > how we are doing application development so you can get a balanced
      > perspective.
      >
      > MarvinToll@... <MarvinToll%40gtcGroup.com>

    • Bill Caputo
      Message 370 of 370 , Sep 8, 2010
        On Wed, Sep 8, 2010 at 9:20 PM, Ron Jeffries <ronjeffries@...> wrote:
        > Seems not reading this topic might suffice ... but to each his own
        > ... I guess.

        The problem is that it isn't just one topic - its at least 2 or 3 and
        as near as I can tell constitutes the entire traffic of the list right
        now. Also, I can't not read things, it's a medical condition or
        something...

        > I know Marvin and I am confident that he's trying to do as right a
        > thing as he can.

        I agree with that. The again, the road to hell and all that...

        > I freely grant that I cannot figure out why what we
        > are saying seems to elude him.

        I don't know either. We could ask him, I suppose. But I expect it'll
        just start the whole thing all over again.

        > I suppose we could stop trying, but
        > that seems wrong to me.

        To each his own... I guess ;->

        > I'd say that if the thread ticks you, or
        > anyone, off ... start new ones, respond to other ones, pitch in in
        > other ways.

        Well, as I said, no other threads seem to be going on right now. If I
        can think of something constructive to say, I'll start a new one.
        However, I apologize to the list for venting publicly (and so adding
        to the noise). I'll stick to signal or silence for a while.

        Best,
        Bill