Re: [XP] Communicating from the Enterprise to Project Teams

  • PAUL
    Message 1 of 370 , Aug 1, 2010
      Hi Marvin,

      Agile software development is premised on the idea that software teams behave like complex adaptive systems. Namely:

      1. They should self organise
      2. Outcomes are emergent (cannot be predicted in advance)
      3. The system is non-linear (small details can make a huge difference)
      4. Co-evolution (the team co-evolve with their changing environment).

      As a start:

      http://www.metaprog.com/blogs/2010/07/1st-international-workshop-on-complexity-and-real-world-applications-day-1/

      Even if I accept that a team being paid $8 per hour can effectively do 1, your application of the 80/20 rule negates 2, 3, and 4.

      You don't now whether your "reference implementation" is applicable 80% of the time. All you know is that teams have used it 80% of the time (in fact you don't even know this unless you have reviewed all the code for all your projects teams yourself). As for details making a difference. A team that uses the reference as a start will need to be able to customise it appropriately. If they couldn't have produced the reference implementation themselves, then I'm pretty sure that won't have the competence to effectively customise it.

      This argument applies to "self selecting" too. If they lack the competence to produce the reference implementation themselves, then they lack the competence to know whether or not it is a good starting place for them. So that sorts of scrubs 1 also.

      I agree with Ron. Your reference implementation isn't a communication tool. It is a boiler plate for those who understand the design patterns already. In which sense it's just a productivity tool and you aren't communicating anything at all.

      Regards,

      Paul.

      --- In extremeprogramming@yahoogroups.com, "MarvinToll.com" <MarvinToll@...> wrote:

      > @Paul... no "Silver Bullet" even attempted. We strive for 80% of our teams self-selecting to use 80% of our Reference Implementation 80% of the time - or, something like that. The 80/20 rule is always in play!
      >
      > --- "PAUL" <beckfordp@> wrote:
      > >
      > > The French consultancy were as equally as arrogant. They too thought they had found the "Silver Bullet".
      > >
      > > Good luck.
      > >
      > > Paul.

    • Bill Caputo
      Message 370 of 370 , Sep 8, 2010
        On Wed, Sep 8, 2010 at 9:20 PM, Ron Jeffries <ronjeffries@...> wrote:
        > Seems not reading this topic might suffice ... but to each his own
        > ... I guess.

        The problem is that it isn't just one topic - its at least 2 or 3 and
        as near as I can tell constitutes the entire traffic of the list right
        now. Also, I can't not read things, it's a medical condition or
        something...

        > I know Marvin and I am confident that he's trying to do as right a
        > thing as he can.

        I agree with that. The again, the road to hell and all that...

        > I freely grant that I cannot figure out why what we
        > are saying seems to elude him.

        I don't know either. We could ask him, I suppose. But I expect it'll
        just start the whole thing all over again.

        > I suppose we could stop trying, but
        > that seems wrong to me.

        To each his own... I guess ;->

        > I'd say that if the thread ticks you, or
        > anyone, off ... start new ones, respond to other ones, pitch in in
        > other ways.

        Well, as I said, no other threads seem to be going on right now. If I
        can think of something constructive to say, I'll start a new one.
        However, I apologize to the list for venting publicly (and so adding
        to the noise). I'll stick to signal or silence for a while.

        Best,
        Bill