[XP] Re: Communicating from the Enterprise to Project Teams

  • MarvinToll.com
    Message 1 of 370 , Aug 1, 2010
      George... I strongly agree with you that low pay, high turnover and distribution impacts the team.

      However, I wouldn't take away the 'team' title just because of these challenges. Every project has challenges... the role of 'team' is to self-organize to "maximize the amount of work not done".

      To be truthful, I've found that these constraints sometimes cause self-organization to be imperative. Said another way; a team with low pay, high turnover and distributed is sometimes very very sensitive to 'organization' - they don't want to get caught non-delivering because 'Srini got a new gig' two kilometers south on the same road [ called the "Information Technology Highway"].

      --- George Dinwiddie <lists@...> wrote:
      > I'd say that high turnover and widely distributed makes it /very/ unlikely the team will self-organize. I think they're highly unlikely to form a team at all.
    • Bill Caputo
      Message 370 of 370 , Sep 8, 2010
        On Wed, Sep 8, 2010 at 9:20 PM, Ron Jeffries <ronjeffries@...> wrote:
        > Seems not reading this topic might suffice ... but to each his own
        > ... I guess.

        The problem is that it isn't just one topic - its at least 2 or 3 and
        as near as I can tell constitutes the entire traffic of the list right
        now. Also, I can't not read things, it's a medical condition or
        something...

        > I know Marvin and I am confident that he's trying to do as right a
        > thing as he can.

        I agree with that. The again, the road to hell and all that...

        > I freely grant that I cannot figure out why what we
        > are saying seems to elude him.

        I don't know either. We could ask him, I suppose. But I expect it'll
        just start the whole thing all over again.

        > I suppose we could stop trying, but
        > that seems wrong to me.

        To each his own... I guess ;->

        > I'd say that if the thread ticks you, or
        > anyone, off ... start new ones, respond to other ones, pitch in in
        > other ways.

        Well, as I said, no other threads seem to be going on right now. If I
        can think of something constructive to say, I'll start a new one.
        However, I apologize to the list for venting publicly (and so adding
        to the noise). I'll stick to signal or silence for a while.

        Best,
        Bill