Re: [XP] Providing Guidance from an Enterprise to Project Teams that Self-Select

  • MarvinToll.com
    Message 1 of 370 , Aug 1, 2010
      @Ron... the following quote is from an article on "Great Leaders Don't Manage They Inspire"
      http://www.teachersofcolor.com/2010/03/great-leaders-don%E2%80%99t-manage-they-inspire/

      <quote>
      First- play to your strengths. If you are not good at verbalizing your thoughts, try finding another avenue to communicate. This could be writing, or simply communicating by example. One of the greatest leaders in the world was Mother Teresa and she was a silent leader. However, she was great at communicating through her actions.
      </quote>

      hmmm... I think you have a good point. When people say 'communicate by example' they are usually thinking of a behavioral example.

      Since I've refactored the question three times... why don't I refactor the 'subject' as well:

      Subject v. 2.0: Providing Guidance from an Enterprise to Project Teams that Self-Select [whether they follow it]

      --- Ron Jeffries <ronjeffries@...> wrote:

      > If this means "provide them with something they can use", then I
      > agree.
      >
      > To me the phrase "how we communicate" does not connote, in normal
      > conversation, the possibility of communicating by example. You seem
      > to be talking about communicating by example here. I like that.
      >
      > I have no reason to believe it'll work. It's just the best idea I
      > have given the constraints that you choose to live within.

    • Bill Caputo
      Message 370 of 370 , Sep 8, 2010
        On Wed, Sep 8, 2010 at 9:20 PM, Ron Jeffries <ronjeffries@...> wrote:
        > Seems not reading this topic might suffice ... but to each his own
        > ... I guess.

        The problem is that it isn't just one topic - its at least 2 or 3 and
        as near as I can tell constitutes the entire traffic of the list right
        now. Also, I can't not read things, it's a medical condition or
        something...

        > I know Marvin and I am confident that he's trying to do as right a
        > thing as he can.

        I agree with that. The again, the road to hell and all that...

        > I freely grant that I cannot figure out why what we
        > are saying seems to elude him.

        I don't know either. We could ask him, I suppose. But I expect it'll
        just start the whole thing all over again.

        > I suppose we could stop trying, but
        > that seems wrong to me.

        To each his own... I guess ;->

        > I'd say that if the thread ticks you, or
        > anyone, off ... start new ones, respond to other ones, pitch in in
        > other ways.

        Well, as I said, no other threads seem to be going on right now. If I
        can think of something constructive to say, I'll start a new one.
        However, I apologize to the list for venting publicly (and so adding
        to the noise). I'll stick to signal or silence for a while.

        Best,
        Bill