Re: [XP] Communicating from the Enterprise to Project Teams

  • MarvinToll.com
    Message 1 of 370 , Aug 1, 2010
      @Paul... I agree with you... our corporate Reference Implementation does not use EJBs. By establishing 'effective' (recall 'effective' means that teams self-select to follow) communication we have been able to limit the amount of EJB development on four continents... even though many developers would have preferred to use the technology and subsequently commit the Enterprise to support for the next five - ten years.

      We also publish client-side validation as one of our 'anti-patterns'. By having a Reference Implementation that demonstrates server-side only validation we have again made great progress in eliminating this 'waste' by development teams.

      We also don't use code templates. We use a technique called 'Copy and Substitute' which calls for a devloper to be aware of the required Pattern structure - and ultimately the unit test structure - prior to coding.

      Too bad the 'big pharmaceutical company' did not have access to our working Reference Implementation to import into Eclipse as a starting point. :-)

      --- "PAUL" <beckfordp@...> wrote:

      > I've got hands-on experience of this. A big pharmaceutical company hired a big french consultancy to build a drug safety system for them. The consultancy chose to use architectural code "templates" to build the system. In fact this approach was hailed as a unique selling advantage. The system was to be a J2EE system, and the code templates enforced J2EE three tier client server "best practices", using struts and EJB's. After a year or so the team still hadn't delivered a single phase in a 9-12 phase programme of work.
      >
      > I and four others were brought in as experienced (and suitably expensive) contractors. We said ditch the EJB's and the code templates. The French architect said no. Six months later Thoughtworks were brought in and immediately ditched the templates, replacing EJB's with POJO's and complex server and client side form validation with much simpler server side validation.
    • Bill Caputo
      Message 370 of 370 , Sep 8, 2010
        On Wed, Sep 8, 2010 at 9:20 PM, Ron Jeffries <ronjeffries@...> wrote:
        > Seems not reading this topic might suffice ... but to each his own
        > ... I guess.

        The problem is that it isn't just one topic - its at least 2 or 3 and
        as near as I can tell constitutes the entire traffic of the list right
        now. Also, I can't not read things, it's a medical condition or
        something...

        > I know Marvin and I am confident that he's trying to do as right a
        > thing as he can.

        I agree with that. The again, the road to hell and all that...

        > I freely grant that I cannot figure out why what we
        > are saying seems to elude him.

        I don't know either. We could ask him, I suppose. But I expect it'll
        just start the whole thing all over again.

        > I suppose we could stop trying, but
        > that seems wrong to me.

        To each his own... I guess ;->

        > I'd say that if the thread ticks you, or
        > anyone, off ... start new ones, respond to other ones, pitch in in
        > other ways.

        Well, as I said, no other threads seem to be going on right now. If I
        can think of something constructive to say, I'll start a new one.
        However, I apologize to the list for venting publicly (and so adding
        to the noise). I'll stick to signal or silence for a while.

        Best,
        Bill