Re: [XP] Re: Communicating from the Enterprise to Project Teams

    Message 1 of 370 , Aug 1, 2010
      Hello, MarvinToll.com. On Saturday, July 31, 2010, at 11:49:26
      PM, you wrote:

      > <question> What strategies can you endorse via 'hands-on' personal
      > experience that effectively communicated Application
      > Architecture/Design from an open source project to self-organized
      > teams? </question>

      ... such that 80 percent of them adopted it.

      Notice that very few products have 80 percent adoption.

      Notice that adoption in a free market is a function of the value of
      the product, although certainly /advertising/ communication does
      play into it. Y are not so cynical as to be asking how to sell a bad
      product, so you perhaps mean something like:

      What would be the characteristics of an AA/D, and how could they
      be communicated, so that eighty percent of those exposed to this
      truth would choose to use the AA/D?

      So, on the face of it, the AA/D would have to actually be perceived
      as useful to the teams. I can think of at least two kinds of useful:

      1. The AA/D might actually help them do their jobs. To accomplish
      that, I'd look to examples to build from, clear documentation,
      high modularity ... the usual suspects.
      2. The AA/D might be seen to have some kind of political or
      economic advantage to the team. I would not favor following this
      path further.

      Now I am mindful that you are insisting on /experienced/ reports.
      I can only say that I've never seen a truly useful AA/D at the
      enterprise level, and that I have never seen a very willing adoption
      of the AA/D if it was insisted upon. So it is not fair to say that I
      have no experience in the area but it is fair to say that I have no
      /successful/ experience.

      I cannot recall ever seeing a very useful AA/D at all, and I have
      seen many which were not. As such, I would be inclined to explore
      other ways of helping teams to be effective.

      www.xprogramming.com/blog
      Education is the ability to listen to almost anything without losing
      your temper or your self-confidence. --Robert Frost
    • Bill Caputo
      Message 370 of 370 , Sep 8, 2010
        On Wed, Sep 8, 2010 at 9:20 PM, Ron Jeffries <ronjeffries@...> wrote:
        > Seems not reading this topic might suffice ... but to each his own
        > ... I guess.

        The problem is that it isn't just one topic - its at least 2 or 3 and
        as near as I can tell constitutes the entire traffic of the list right
        now. Also, I can't not read things, it's a medical condition or
        something...

        > I know Marvin and I am confident that he's trying to do as right a
        > thing as he can.

        I agree with that. The again, the road to hell and all that...

        > I freely grant that I cannot figure out why what we
        > are saying seems to elude him.

        I don't know either. We could ask him, I suppose. But I expect it'll
        just start the whole thing all over again.

        > I suppose we could stop trying, but
        > that seems wrong to me.

        To each his own... I guess ;->

        > I'd say that if the thread ticks you, or
        > anyone, off ... start new ones, respond to other ones, pitch in in
        > other ways.

        Well, as I said, no other threads seem to be going on right now. If I
        can think of something constructive to say, I'll start a new one.
        However, I apologize to the list for venting publicly (and so adding
        to the noise). I'll stick to signal or silence for a while.

        Best,
        Bill