Re: Communicating the Costs of High Turnover in Large Enterprises

  • JeffGrigg
    Message 1 of 370 , Aug 1, 2010
      --- Ron Jeffries <ronjeffries@...> wrote:
      > Hello, PAUL. On Saturday, July 31, 2010, at 8:18:54 AM, you wrote:
      >> Instead of seeing large as a badge of success, history has shown
      >> that more often then not large is a badge of failure.

      > Recall, though, that Marvin's teams have incredibly high turnover,
      > and this is not likely to be corrected.

      That's unfortunate, as the costs of having high turnover are sure to overwhelm all the benefits gained from successfully communicating even the most amazingly good Enterprise Architecture/Design to the teams.

      I wonder what they're doing that so successfully ensures that just about any other place to work is so obviously more attractive?
    • Bill Caputo
      Message 370 of 370 , Sep 8, 2010
        On Wed, Sep 8, 2010 at 9:20 PM, Ron Jeffries <ronjeffries@...> wrote:
        > Seems not reading this topic might suffice ... but to each his own
        > ... I guess.

        The problem is that it isn't just one topic - its at least 2 or 3 and
        as near as I can tell constitutes the entire traffic of the list right
        now. Also, I can't not read things, it's a medical condition or
        something...

        > I know Marvin and I am confident that he's trying to do as right a
        > thing as he can.

        I agree with that. The again, the road to hell and all that...

        > I freely grant that I cannot figure out why what we
        > are saying seems to elude him.

        I don't know either. We could ask him, I suppose. But I expect it'll
        just start the whole thing all over again.

        > I suppose we could stop trying, but
        > that seems wrong to me.

        To each his own... I guess ;->

        > I'd say that if the thread ticks you, or
        > anyone, off ... start new ones, respond to other ones, pitch in in
        > other ways.

        Well, as I said, no other threads seem to be going on right now. If I
        can think of something constructive to say, I'll start a new one.
        However, I apologize to the list for venting publicly (and so adding
        to the noise). I'll stick to signal or silence for a while.

        Best,
        Bill