Re: [XP] Communicating from the Enterprise to Project Teams

  • PAUL
    Message 1 of 370 , Jul 31, 2010
      Hi Marvin,

      Your questions is based on an assumption, namely that software development can be scaled up to large dispersed teams. If your centre of excellence is making or influencing design decisions, then they are acting as part of the team.

      This assumption as been questioned in the past and there is a body of evidence that suggest that this is not the case. So if performance falls off with organisational size, why employ a large organisation?

      Instead of seeing large as a badge of success, history has shown that more often then not large is a badge of failure.

      Google has lots of small autonomous teams. Centrally all that occurs is a portfolio of projects is maintained in order of perceived value. This is used to manage budgets.

      They adopt the approach that there is more to gain by releasing teams, rather then trying to "enable" them. An alternative way of thinking about things, which is based on a completely different set of assumptions.

      Regards,

      Paul.

      --- In extremeprogramming@yahoogroups.com, "MarvinToll.com" <MarvinToll@...> wrote:

      > @Jeff - thanks for the response - and it helped me remember something.
      >
      > The 'Agile Manifesto' Principle #11 does not use the term 'self-directed'... I tend to use that term.
      >
      > Principle #11 uses the term 'self-organizing'... which means (to me) a team is fully empowered to structure themselves to best meet the needs of the Customer with the enablers provided by the Successful Large Enterprise (SLE).
      >
      > --- In extremeprogramming@yahoogroups.com, "JeffGrigg" <jeffreytoddgrigg@>
      > wrote:
      > >
      > > While I've generally observed that the imposition of Successful Large Enterprise (SLE) Application Architecture/Design and the empowerment of self-directed teams don't tend to mix together easily...

    • Bill Caputo
      Message 370 of 370 , Sep 8, 2010
        On Wed, Sep 8, 2010 at 9:20 PM, Ron Jeffries <ronjeffries@...> wrote:
        > Seems not reading this topic might suffice ... but to each his own
        > ... I guess.

        The problem is that it isn't just one topic - its at least 2 or 3 and
        as near as I can tell constitutes the entire traffic of the list right
        now. Also, I can't not read things, it's a medical condition or
        something...

        > I know Marvin and I am confident that he's trying to do as right a
        > thing as he can.

        I agree with that. The again, the road to hell and all that...

        > I freely grant that I cannot figure out why what we
        > are saying seems to elude him.

        I don't know either. We could ask him, I suppose. But I expect it'll
        just start the whole thing all over again.

        > I suppose we could stop trying, but
        > that seems wrong to me.

        To each his own... I guess ;->

        > I'd say that if the thread ticks you, or
        > anyone, off ... start new ones, respond to other ones, pitch in in
        > other ways.

        Well, as I said, no other threads seem to be going on right now. If I
        can think of something constructive to say, I'll start a new one.
        However, I apologize to the list for venting publicly (and so adding
        to the noise). I'll stick to signal or silence for a while.

        Best,
        Bill